Cafe Racer Forum banner

41 - 60 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Still really fancy one of these. Not saying that I'd ever want to ride it, but it would make a cracking ornament..... The Missus says otherwise:(

Attachments

·
Registered
6,631 Posts
Looking at these bikes makes me recall a Peter Egan piece about how nobody makes a good looking dirt bike anymore. I say that is still the case.
Keeping with the original thread, you could start with a clapped out TL125 rolling chassis

and squeeze an obscenely cheap over-size Chinese motor into it ;)

<- interesting conversion of drum to disc brakes.

but don't down-grade the 21" front wheel to an 18 and put shite rubber on it like he did :rolleyes: bad choice

… His bars are set too far back too
:|

·
Registered
56 Posts
SSR brought the Buccaneer 250 over here, and I bought one. So far I've got 400 miles on it, and still breaking it in. I'm loving it! It'll do 80 indicated on the highway (75mph actual verified by GPS) with some RPM left to go before redline. The more I ride it, the more power it's making too. It handles VERY well, and is so far a pleasure to ride and work on.

Charles.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
SSR brought the Buccaneer 250 over here, and I bought one. So far I've got 400 miles on it, and still breaking it in. I'm loving it! It'll do 80 indicated on the highway (75mph actual verified by GPS) with some RPM left to go before redline. The more I ride it, the more power it's making too. It handles VERY well, and is so far a pleasure to ride and work on.

Charles.
How's the vibration? Somebody told me they were quite buzzy compared to a V-Star 250.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've not ridden a V-Star 250, so I can't say to that. I will say there is virtually no vibration in the handlebars. Right around 6000 rpm there's a vibration at the front of the seat, which is... mildly interesting... in the... crotchular area.... *ahem*. I can't compare to a V-Star, but I can compare to other bikes. Maybe one of them will be familiar to you. It vibrates less than a CX500. It vibrates less than an XV950 Bolt near redline. It vibrates WAY less than a Suzuki RE-5, TW200, or XS650. It does vibrate more than a Virago 750, an EX250, or an EX500. It vibrates more than an air-cooled Triumph Scrambler.

Honestly, there's just one area from 5700rpm to 6200rpm where there are vibes. Above or below that and everything smooths out. As the bike breaks in, that area of vibration gets better. The vibes are felt through the seat, but not through the handlebars or footpegs, so it's a fun vibration. I've been surprised how smooth the motor is, overall. I was also considering the CSC San Gabriel SG250... and I'm really glad I passed on that and spent a little more on the Buccaneer. It's a smooth running and smooth handling bike, and I'm really enjoying it. It's NOTHING like a 250 single. Riding it I keep remembering how much the TW200 vibrated when run balls-to-the-wall... and how much smoother and less stressed the Buccaneer feels at all speeds.

Vibration is really a function of what you're used to. If you ride nothing but Japanese inline fours made within the last 2 decades, you're going to think it's buzzy. If you've put saddle time in any small displacement single it's going to feel GREAT in comparison. I've done both, and I find the vibration to be on the pleasing end of the spectrum, not fatiguing at all. If you ride lots of vintage bikes, the Buccaneer 250 is going to feel smooth as hell.

Oh, I paid $3203 out the door for this bike.

Charles.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Also the seating position is damn near identical to a Moto Guzzi V7 Stornello. Which is basically a V7 Racer with taller bars. The dimensions are the same too. 57" wheelbase and 31" seat height. So it's a full sized motorcycle. What's more, the buccaneer has 9 inches of ground clearance and comes with CST (Maxxis) dual sport tires. The bars facilitate standing on the pegs, and it's quite comfortable to do so for long periods of time. It comes with a skid plate and a metal guard around the headlight... it's essentially a scrambler with a cafe appearance. Put a high pipe and a flat seat on it, and suddenly it would look more like a flat track bike than a cafe racer. Even the dual sport tires have a flat track style tread pattern.

Charles.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
wow that buccaneer 250 "cafe" is so much a copy of the V7 racer I am surprised Guzzi doesn't sue somebody

being buzzier than a triumph scrambler is quite a feat considering they have 270 degree cranks.

·
Registered
56 Posts
FYI the buccaneer was designed in cooperation with Italjet, and then produced by the Chinese. So it does actually have some Italian heritage. But yeah, it's a mini V7 racer in a lot of ways. And it's totally a blast.

Charles.

·
Registered
56 Posts
This is my SSR Buccaneer 250.

IMGP3625.JPG

So far, I've got 940 miles on it. It tops out at 84mph indicated, has Delphi fuel injection, 9" of ground clearance, 57" wheelbase, 31" seat height, weighs 283 lbs, has a 3.43 gallon fuel tank, and gets 60mpg when ridden hard. The size of the bike and the rider triangle are identical to the V7 Stornello. It looks very much like the V7 cafe, but it has taller bars to facilitate standing and riding. In most of the world, the roads suck balls. And this bike has 9 inches of ground clearance, a skid plate, and comes with some Maxxis dual sport tires. It's fairly decent off-road too. The tires are great on pavement, but merely adequate on anything except gravel. With the one redeeming quality of sidewall lugs that did prevent me from getting stuck in deep sticky mud. Yep, I rode my cafe like it was a scrambler, and it was a blast. Except the cleanup afterwards. I'm still finding mud in odd little hidden places...

IMG_5610.jpg

It may be Chinese, but so far it's been completely reliable and has given me no problems. I'm doing all my own servicing, but otherwise I'm just riding it.

Charles.

41 - 60 of 94 Posts