Cafe Racer Forum banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I've got the new Keihin PE26 race carbs installed and they appear to be working well after a pilot jet change. Yes developement continues until the last moment.
I think they have the potential to substanially increase top end...alas I don't have the proper sprocket at the moment so I suspect it will rev out on the straight.
JohnnyB

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Take it at the race track special....$3,000 for the A bike and all the stuff....you'd have to come pick up all the stuff at my house though.
JohnnyB

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Keep in mind if it's raining, or positively raining, I'll be packing up on Monday morning and scooting. I don't want to risk crashing it in the rain, and obviously I'm not looking for a championship this year. So if anyone wants to check the bike out, get over to my pit.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Somebody buy this racer for christ sakes. The flippin machine is AWESOME. You couldn't build a race ready championship winning turn key bike for what johnny is asking for it. FCB guys...........here's your chance to step up!!!

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
c'mon leo, 3 large for a totally sorted, competitive race bike is a deal. Get on it. Paint cycleicons on the tank and it's a write off no?
cheers, bcr

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I gotta admit a bike shop would be a good environment for this bike. It needs a commitment, it's not a particularly casual race bike. Needs to be surrounded by people that are into bikes in a big way. A shop would also have a place to store the spares.

Too clarify some of the needs of the bike that might scare people. Pistons...yes custom 57mm pistons...but the engine is fresh and included is a brand new set of these pistons ($400). Cylinders are made by putting a machined CB200 liners in the CB175 cylinder block. Bike comes with a spare CB200 cylinder block, heat it up, pop out the liners, machine them shorter, install in the 175 cylinder block. Send out with the set of pistons to Langcourt Cylinder technologies for boring. Race for two more years.

Every two years....typically new guides, uses modern Ampco45 guides, send to Mike Rich to machine new guides and install ( I did the last set myself, can be done by a competent machinist). Seen here:
http://www.jrbranson.com/HondaRacer/honda/cylinderhead.htm

Valve springs every two years (depending on how much it's raced) Uses off the shelf Kibblewhite race springs (PN#'s for the buyer), NEW set of these Kibblewhite springs included in the spares.

Otherwise all parts get the same consideration of a highly tuned race bike. Good idea to check the engine over very closely on a yearly basis for cam/rocker wear, crank end play, tappet clearance changes etc. Nothing too exotic, nothing likely to grenade.

But...it IS a REAL race bike, you ignore it, it will bite you in the ass no doubt. Take care of it like a REAL race bike and it will provide years of trouble free service. Pretty much the same deal as a Henning motor.

This isn't a pitch to sell the bike...it's so whoever buys it knows what they are getting into. If someone wants a bike to race, throw in the trailer and forget until the next race...buy something else.

Leo, (or anyone) feel free to email me directly if you have any detailed questions. Of more concern to me is that the right person buys it...I'd rather get less money, and not have to deal with someone that knows zip about race engines. I doubt most people will ride it as hard as I do, but I dread someone buying it and through neglect, causing a problem. And to be honest, although I'm more than willing to help the new owner down the road...I do not want to end up doing phone support for years. I'll provide the info, notes, part numbers, contacts, all kinds of stuff. Up to the new owner to make a study of this bike, learn how to feed it and take care of it. And you know, the bottom line is if you don't Want/Plan On ...winning, and are not a fairly accomplished (meaning pretty fast guy), it would kind of be a waste of money and bike.

But, despite my faith in this bike, you know the deal. When the money changes hands the warranty ends. Take it for a ride around the pits, watch me do some laps, put a clock on me, check it out when I bring it in the pits. If you want it, buy it, it's yours. If it blows all the hell five minutes later...it's still yours. ( I will provide advice for the reconstruction :) And it will come with enough spares to build a new engine.

Not to push anyone....but a guy with Tex's experience, and his weight...(gotta be 60 lbs lighter than me)...could do some amazing things with this bike. I'd say 1:32's maybe 1:31's if he ran it like I do.

My "medicine" kicked in...so I'm chatty :)
JohnnyB

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Tex- Where are you? Team Cycle Icons?

JohnnyB- I'd do it myself if I could, but the business is still in infancy and money's tight. Hence a partner. And not the least of which, someone to help me share the learning curve.

Tex?

Cheers-
Leo

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Leo, believe me I understand, it's a lot of money to spend in one chunk on a hobby.... I've never done it except for new street bikes.

I haven't even advertised anywhere else yet.

For those that know him...I have a feeling Hiroshi might buy it if he new it was for sale.
JohnnyB

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
i have been hesitating because i have to sell a very important bike (to me), to afford this bike. i am now willing to do it, but haven't listed it. it will sell, pretty quickly, as it is near freaking perfect.

it's not that i'm not willing to do it, as i'd love to compete in the 200gp race at mid-o on this machine, and maybe be able to smack some bitches around........

leo, i know i have threatened before about paying you a visit at your shop.....what's up for thursday? wanna have a cup of coffee together over there (cycleicons) and see if we can work this out? i'll bring lots of rev'it! stuff for you to oogle and oggle.

cheers,

texy

p.s.- i am back to my race weight.......135lbs bitches!

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Bear in mind if you race it with AHRMA you'll have to be a bit secretive about the engine size. They limit Honda 175's to 183cc...something like that. And this one is 209cc. It would clean up at Mid O. or Daytona I think.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Tex-
Thursdays I'm in the store from 11am to 6pm. Be great if you could finally make it up. Give me a rough heads up time wise so I know whether to have coffee or beer on hand. Let me know if you need directions.

I hear you about juggling money and bikes. We'll see what we can come up with, but I'd like to think there's a race team out there. We'll see.

Not for nothing, at 6'1'' and 135 lbs. you must be a lanky fellow. I'd be careful who I call bitch, bitch.

Shoot me a call or email. Hope to see you Thursday.

Cheers-
Leo

p.s.- Hang in JohnnyB, I think this is coming together.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts