Cafe Racer Forum banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
just right of the north sandwich islands.

i'll give you a hollar.

tex

·
Registered
204 Posts
between actually being productive at work i have been spending time on this J Bransons website looking into what it took to produce the smaller single cyl honda. It is absolutely fascinating. I mean, seriously. it is one thing to be all about motorcycles and being adept at maintenance and all, but this is just silly. He built the damn motorcycle! I could only imagine the stuff he didn't show. Basically, you should buy it and take it to Mid-Ohio so i can look at it. I don't know what else to say. it is inspiring to know what can be done when mental and mechanical know how and ingenuity are applied in a logical well thought out manner. what better outlet than a race bike where all frivolities are stripped and rules are set out before you just to figure out a way around that is even better. ill shut up now

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
I think I'd like to have the bike and put lights on it. Use it on the street to beat up HD's and overly confident zipper bike riders whose bikes are much faster than they are. Was my favorite thing to do on my RD250.

I don't think I'd want the truck load or three of spare parts though and it would be a bit sad for it to be "retired" back to street duty. Some of the spares would be nice but I wouldn't need all of them.

I promise I'd not put any fringe or conchos on it, not even pink streamers on the ends of the handlebars or levers.

I'll give you my 50T dual spindle mill for it fully equipped with lots of goodies and cutters.

It weighs about 6000 pounds so since I know your bike and parts I much lighter, I really should be asking you for lots of cash boot but I'm really a nice guy and would trade straight up.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
I think I'd like to have the bike and put lights on it. Use it on the street to beat up HD's and overly confident zipper bike riders whose bikes are much faster than they are. Was my favorite thing to do on my RD250.

I don't think I'd want the truck load or three of spare parts though and it would be a bit sad for it to be "retired" back to street duty. Some of the spares would be nice but I wouldn't need all of them.

I promise I'd not put any fringe or conchos on it, not even pink streamers on the ends of the handlebars or levers.

I'll give you my 50T dual spindle mill for it fully equipped with lots of goodies and cutters.

It weighs about 6000 pounds so since I know your bike and parts I much lighter, I really should be asking you for lots of cash boot but I'm really a nice guy and would trade straight up.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Wow, JB's gettin' out. Well, I understand that as I bowed out several years ago; even came back for awhile but I guess I'd had my fill. Johnny, you did a great job with that bike and developed into a premier rider in your own right, nice job. I gott'a say, it almosty tempting to me to buy it, but aside from becoming financially indepedent and having the time, I won't be back to racing. It's been a trip to watch that little Honda develop, though. I can remember back when you started and how, at first, you were having trouble getting the carbs dialed in. Good going, and I hope the bike went to a good home, certainly a good value.

Regards,
Dgy

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Thanks bro,
Yeah...I'm more worried about it's new home than I am about how much I get for it.
It was an education that's for sure.
We'll still try to make it to the track once a year for Mary to race her 50, and me to ride an RS should I ever get one.
Till then...it's dirt baby! (and Ice)
JohnnyB

·
Registered
434 Posts
Dirt, you flat tracking? Electric City? That's a whole new world. But, it's MUCH closer, MUCH cheaper, and MUCH more racing, plus ice. Personally, I love ice the best. It's so uniform that you can back it in with your feet up. If you haven't bought your bike yet, my humble advice would be buy something like a Honda 250 4 stroke already set up for the dirt. Don't start with the heavy stuff (like I did; Triumph Trackmaster 750). I think the best riders are the flat track guys.

Let me know, i'll come over and watch you!

Dgy

PS Did you sell the 200 yet?

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Dougie,
Mary's bike is sold, mine is still for sale.

We got Mary a 2003 XR100 last week...freakin things is mint. Did some laps on it today.

I'm shopping for a Honda CRF150 (four stroke dirt bike). Which I'll immediately upgrade the suspension, pipe it, jet it...then probably a big bore kit when I get used to it.

Lots of the mini-moto guys here have ice wheels for their bikes, they just swap them out, and keep racing in the winter.

Not sure about flat track, I'll see how things pan out. Looks like a steep learning curve there and a slow guy is going to be more of an obstacle than on a road course.

I'm not ...DONE with RR, but yeah, cutting way back. Just realized it's too much money, not enough seat time, too much time out of my life keeping the bikes up. Like you I've got a lot of other things I enjoy besides motorcycles.

I heard Frank C. say the other day he thinks he enjoys using his tractor more than RR.... I might have to agree sometimes.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
dont wait to do the bigbore. if youre going to dirt track it, check the rules. dirt track is totally fun. and dont worry about being an obstacle. they'll go by so fast, and sideways, you wont have anythin else to do but watch cna drool. you know, you cant be up front all of the time! dirt tracking kicks ass.

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Somebody bring $2500 to the track and buy my bike. Last offer to Caferacer before it goes up for sale elsewhere.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
10,577 Posts
Wow thats a hell of a price drop. great bike and amazing set up. im looking to go racing but dont have the money to lay out yet....this sucks...

you sould take note of all the car makers right now......easy financing....lol

41 - 60 of 62 Posts