Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did you guys for with 7/8 or 1 inch, which are better for finding more of a variety of controls?

·
Registered
227 Posts
For the most part the 7/8 / 22 mm bars are the way to go if what you want is variety (excluding Apehangers that is) as those are the go to diameter world wide and will make it far easier to fine electrics and hand controls including master cylinders ,throttles and clutch levers in a wide price range. Bottom line is what you are building.
Cheers

·
Registered
227 Posts
What does use 1 inch bars? Guessing the list might be shorter.
Hey TR, Harley has used one inch bars for as long as I can remember (sadly a long time) I'm thinking that Indian may also use them but I'm not certain. I think I also saw some bars listed somewhere that were 1.125 " and I have no idea where they would be destined for. :unsure: Then there's Pro-tapper do the end up at 1" or 7/8 at the bar-end ?

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
Hey TR, Harley has used one inch bars for as long as I can remember (sadly a long time) I'm thinking that Indian may also use them but I'm not certain. I think I also saw some bars listed somewhere that were 1.125 " and I have no idea where they would be destined for. :unsure: Then there's Pro-tapper do the end up at 1" or 7/8 at the bar-end ?
I kinda wondered if it was an old bike / old Harley thing.
I think I seen a pair of fat looking grips on a snowmobile once, but they don't have twist grip throttles.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I kinda wondered if it was an old bike / old Harley thing.
I think I seen a pair of fat looking grips on a snowmobile once, but they don't have twist grip throttles.
Yea you are right I've seen bars far larger that 7/8" on vintage bikes. I think up until WW2 it was up to the manufacturers what bar size they were going to use. Early motorbikes don't have the same controls from one maker to the next so maybe it just didn't really matter what bar size you designed into you motorbike. Now days components of a type all come from say a company that specializes in ignition switches so having a continuity of bar diameter became necessary. You got me thinking that back in the day it did't matter .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts