Cafe Racer Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
26,142 Posts
quote:
tomaselli makes adjustable clips and clubmans. dont let gheeto give you shit about clubmans. he wants everyone to build the same exact bike he has. i have tomaselli clubmans on my bike that are awesome. i love them. clip ons on a streetbike are for people who think they are racers, but have never been on a racetrack. (lets see where this gets me!)

clubmans rule! go illmor!

doh!

jc

aaron, send my wheel.
No Joe You are Wrong (I love saying that). I don't want people to build the same bike I have at all. What I really want is people to really think about the clubman decision beyond the goddamn price and hipster cache and see that for some bikes clubmans are not appropriate. I just want people to stop assuming clubmans are the answer because that is all they see and then bash their bikes to get them to fit. Next time you look at someone else's bike with clubmans check the tank for clubman rash, gaurantee it is more common than you think. I look at a lot of parked bikes in the city and see it on most of them.

Personally I think those fixed style clubmans are garbage, and in the hands of people with too little mechanical expirence and big dreams all they get in the end is a dented tank and butchered wiring.

That being said, stop making decisions with your wallet, all you will end up with is garbage parts. A good pair of clubmans will cost you the same as a decent pair of clipons so at this point you need to ask yourself which do you think you will be more comfortable with. If you can borrow both from a friend and test fit I would.

Personally I side with clip-ons for three reasons:
1) Adjustability. They are way more adjustable than any bar out there. They also will not interfere with the forks if you make front end adjustments

2) The fold in a crash. Some guys put those cheap clubmans on and they end up with such weird angles that if there were to wreck I don't see how it would not break their wrist. If you drop your bike of the stand the bar can also bend where as it is harder (although possible) to bend a clipon.

3) They look more racy. Clubmans always looked too backyard to me, clipons look like you came to do business, not fuck around.

My hatred of clubmans comes from all these hipster kids that go out and buy an old honda and suddenly think they have mechanical expirence because they own something old. And then they see a "cafe racer" bike and they are like "I want that" but really they don't know the work involved. Sure they want to try but most will get half way through installing the bars and then give up and put the thing together half assed. The end result is a lot of dented tanks because the bars hit and a lot of snipped wires because they did a poor job of tyring to thread them through (instead of notching the controls) and their bike never works again.

Clubmans are Gay.

And it is Geeto you illeterate fucktard. Gee - T - O not gheto ro Gheeto or whatever passes for slang these days... (ps I just wanted a reason to say fucktard)

Edited by - Geeto67 on Apr 08 2007 1:54:52 PM

· Registered
26,142 Posts
I happen to think the tommiselli adjustable clubman is a good design and a much better choice than the fixed junky clubmans. At that price level clipons are the same money so it is a matter of personal preference. My race bike has drag bars on it because I don't have to turn.

and for the record "clubman rash" is when a dumbass installs clubmans on his bike and somewhere in the turning radius the bar hits the tank under normal riding conditions (not in a crash). Either the ends of the bars hit or the loop hits the tank edge. You should see the amount of bikes here that have small dents where the bar hits the tank from normal riding and the schmucks just live with it. It is not exclusive to clubmans either I have seen drag bars do that too (but it is much much rarer and usually when somebody turned the drag bar down to act like a cheap clubman) on some bikes but the problem is mostly a clubman problem

Edited by - Geeto67 on Apr 08 2007 2:44:08 PM

· Registered
26,142 Posts
quote:
see, now youre wrong, its not a clubman problem, its a stupid problem!

what the hell is a geeto anyway?

jc

aaron, send my wheel.
yeah but clubmans seem to attrack the stupid. I think it is because they are visible where as the morons just look at clipons and think they attach by magic.

as far as what is a Geeto? well in '66 and '67 pontiac started calling the GTO the GeeTO Tiger (pronounced Gee Toe). They even had a song (that sucked - the chorus was "Geeto Tiger Go" ). It was not very successful so for 68 the got Paul Reiver and the Radiers to do the Song (after doing the SS396 song for chevy in '66, and then doing the Judge song in '69). It was fairly obsucre but I liked the name (my old car buddies used to call me Geeto Kerry or Goat Kerry in real life).

· Registered
26,142 Posts
I am not sure you are thinking about the problem in the right way. Statements like:

"the way it sounds clips on are fine if i was ten years younger"

show that you are still only thinking about one type of clip-on and one type of mounting (below the top clamp). Most modern stock bikes use above the top clamp mounted clipons that have some rise to them that actually make them more comfortable than the old clipons and even most clubmans. Telefix and tomaselli clipons usually have some rise and to them and are also adjustable as to the angle of the bar and could be comfortable even without rearsets.

It sounds like you have made your choice but thinking that clipons are not good for you because you are older is purely myth. Just as there are cheap clubmans there are cheap clipons as well. Sometimes a cheap clipons or cheap clubmans are all you need (most cb350 twins don't seem to have a problem with any kind of bar for example), sometimes they just wont work. Before you pull the trigger on it look at all the options out there. For example, most sport bikes of the 80s have the raised clipons and fork sizes similar to the older 70's bikes and can be had on ebay for stupid cheap.

Manufacturers spend millions on bike egoronomics, this can have a trickel down effect on older bikes too if you can retorfit the parts. My point is they spend millions because it is a complex issue, not something easily solved by a few minutes on the internet.

good luck.

· Registered
26,142 Posts
actually the correct accurate name for those lamps is a "Banker's Lamp". you used to see them in accounting firms and libraries all the time. I agree they are ugly but I have never seen one in use in a law firm (I have seen them for decoration) without a library attached.

· Registered
26,142 Posts
quote:
Whatever.. you obviously got the point.....thanks though Ghandi....fkn professor over here.....
ever live with an interior designer? it's hell. You learn all sorts of names for shit you could care less about.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.