Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So ive been working on my 75 cb360, part of which has been the clutch cable install. The bike runs fine, all i need is to get the clutch working.

I started with a new clutch cable from motion pro. I installed it, adjusted it as the Clymer manual says, and nothing. So later on I found out i was missing the single ball bearing that sits between the actuator shaft (not sure if thats the correct term) and the parts that rotates when the cable is pulled. So i installed it back, adjusted it, again, just as the manual says, and still nothing.

Then i figured i might be doing something wrong as far as the adjustments, so i try a couple new configurations. a couple of times it seemed right, and felt like it was pulling or actuating, but then it would "snap" and go limp or loose again. I didnt get it to do it a third time to check to see if it indeed was actuating.

So just a few mins ago i decided to check out the clutch discs and see if they were frozen or something. the pulled right out and apart, and the springs with within spec. So now all is put back accept for the clutch cover. Im hoping someone may have some insight on what the hell im doing wrong. Thanks guys

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
in addition, i now am pretty sure that its all in the way of adjustment. I got the clutch to function a couple of times, but like before, when it reached full disengagement, it "snapped" and the cable went loose/limp again. i cant seem to figure this out. when i get it to where it actuates it snaps back loose, but when i adjust it to not be quite as tight on the actuator shaft, it doesnt disengage. it cant find the happy medium for some reason or another. help all you knowledgeable ones!

·
Registered
204 Posts
you are correct in your assumption that it is all in the adjustments. Although I am not as familiar with the 360 clutch mechanisim, i had the exact problem with my cb 350. That thwak sound makes me cringe. I posted a similar question a while back and was told that the clymers manual was not necessarily the best description of the adjustment procedure. Uh, I wish i could make some sort of link that takes you straight to the description but it is on here. allow me to look and ill try to find the date and title of my particular post. my clutch does work properly now, though.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Ok i guess if you click on my particular screen name it will take you to all of the posts i have made. the one titled cb/cl clutch issues contains a excellent explanation by craig641. with that being said, my clutch has popped like that recently. I do have it adjusted so that it will pop back in without having to take the whole damn thing apart. I have hypothesized that the cable end that pulls the cam actuator travels to far and gets hung up and in return pulls too far resulting in a thwack. Obviously a little fine tuning is still in order but when is that not the case.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sweet. i finally got it to work without snapping back, just took a lot of patience and fine tuning. thanks for the help

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
Regardless, take the clutch cover off, and look at how it works. Then you will understand where the thwacking noise comes from. It sounds as though even if it is working now, the adjustments for the clutch are probably off. It thwacks because you have too much free play between the clutch "actuator" and the clutch rod, causing the three steel balls in the sloped detents to go past their designed limit, because you have to pull so much on the actuator with the lever to get the travel to hit the clutch rod.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well, i guess i dont have it quite yet. i can get it to work, but with the bike off and in first, the rear wheel will spin with a bit of help, but it doesnt spin freely at all, no where near as free as in neutral. is it supposed to spin pretty free? i keep trying to get it free but then the cable snaps out of adjustment.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ahh, it works. Fired the bike up with the bike at the same point as the last description, and the clutch is working good. Thanks again guys

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ahh, it works. Fired the bike up with the bike at the same point as the last description, and the clutch is working good. Thanks again guys

1 - 10 of 10 Posts