Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
I'm guessing most of the racers on this site don't use the clutch much. My race bike will overheat the clutch during a race if I consistant use it for upshifting. I'll almost always use the clutch for the shift from 1st to 2nd....couple of reasons....1. It's probably the start of a race and you are acclerating very hard. 2. It's a big ratio jump from 1st to 2nd. 3. You are shifting through neutral...you want a nice clean shift.

Sometimes I may use the clutch on a 2nd to 3thrd shift under hard accleration out of a turn or up a hill. Almost never use the clutch for anything above 3thrd gear.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
I do occasionally on the Triumph, when I'm lazy & riding with one hand. You may not learn to do it whilst riding Baby Sister.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Worked fine for me the other night. You did a decent job adjusting it, but still needs a tiny bit o' fine tuning.

Are you not getting your e-mail again? 25 Jun at State theatre, Detroit.

Edited by - judeyramone on May 16 2007 3:18:31 PM

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
i go back and forth, from track to track, from corner to corner. i think for me it depends on where my head is and what the situation is. who im trying to catch, if im trying to loose someone. plus using the clutch ads another movement, so if youre being chased, the person behind you can see your shift points easier, which you dont really want. especially if youre engine braking. i think you want to keep what youre doing as concealed as possible if youre being chased. not that i do. but you follow guys like henry syphers and its like hes putting out signs for you to see. versus following someone like zach who id imagine looke like hes just winding on the gas. i dunno....just a thought

jc

"tex, if your bikes a cheater, its not a very good one"

·
Registered
237 Posts
I always powershift, I'm used to it because I used to race dirtbikes. Difference is I can shift my bike at full power, on my cb I cut some throttle and shift or it won't engage the next gear

22/m
1980 Honda CB750
1972 Oldsmobile 442

·
Registered
453 Posts
i upshift without the clutch sometimes too BUT several of my instructors at AMI told me it puts excessive wear on the dogs/doghouse or synchros depending on what yer riding. i try not to do it.

some people are like slinkies, basically useless but they still make me smile when i push them down the stairs

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Fuzz,
I wouldn't recommend it unless it's called for in a racing situation. No need to do it on the street really. However...every bike is different, some do it very well, other's not so well. Might be hard to believe...but my RC51 upshifts BETTER without the clutch...I shit you not.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
453 Posts
dont suppose you know if that tranny has synchros or dog rings? the dog ring trannies seem to shift better at hard acceleration with no clutch.

some people are like slinkies, basically useless but they still make me smile when i push them down the stairs

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Not sure about all modern bike gearboxes, but all the ones I've worked on have "dogs" on the gears. The "synchro" is taken care of by the design of the gearbox...all the gears rotate simultaniously and in such a way that two gears trying to engage are rotating already.

I know in older automotive gearboxes you have brass "synchros" that provided this service. You could tear up the synchros without tearing up the dogs on the gears. So rather than replace the gears you just had to replace the synchros.
JohnnyB

1 - 11 of 11 Posts