Cafe Racer Forum banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Actually, the vert changeover from diving boards to plastics was 1991, and the first 4 months iirc still had diving boards.

I'll check on those parts for you and let you know what I've got. I think I have everything but the head, but we'll see.

The black bike is the one I ride. I don't have a title for the red one; thus the parts bike status.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I've got a Natur driver door card, but it's faded and a bit discolored. None of the parts cars we've had through have had really good ones.

I do not have a head, but have you tried adjusting the valves? M20's don't have cam followers; just rockers. If they're out of adjustment (interval is 60,000 miles) then they can make a ton of noise. If the rockers are really worn that badly, it is likely that your cam is also worn. I still have to check on the tails, but I'm about positive I have one. I have springs as well, for $40 plus shipping.

I don't know if this would interest you at all, but I know a guy with a cam and I think 8 rockers with 8000 miles on them. He wants $300 out of the cam.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
New pics here, just to keep everyone remotely interested, hah. The sportbike bars are on, but I need to do a bit of work shortening the controls. When I do the front brake swap next week, I'll probably make a braided brake line that will solve that issue. the clutch cable and throttle cables are still too long, but I think with some creative rerouting they'll look a bit prettier.

I've put about 200 miles on the bike in the last week, and have learned a few things. The biggest one, and the one most pressing to fix: the right cylinder is running a lot hotter/leaner than the left, based on the header pipe color. Also, when warming up, it'll feel like it's only on one cylinder if I go above around 4k revs or give it more than maybe a quarter throttle without easing into it. The choke also no longer stays active on its own, so that makes warmups a bit tougher.

EDIT: forgot to say-I think the one cylinder is lean due to carbs being slightly out of sync. Time to go buy more tools...

I took the bike out with some friends who have a mixture of older sportbikes and supermoto's and am finally realizing just how crappy the stock suspension is for spirited riding. Those rear shocks aren't near as good as I thought they were. Otherwise, it seems to pull pretty well from about 5k revs and the brakes are strong and don't pulse, even if there isn't a heck of a lot of feel. Acceleration wise, I could keep up with the supermotos at WOT (they were a mixture of 400s and 450s) as long as the revs were up. That said, it does run a bit lean still.

And I'm still working on a couple different plans here. What I'm considering but probably won't do: flip both bikes as they are and buy something bigger (I'm 6'4")/quicker(I don't need to explain this)/better handling. I'm still a new rider, and insurance is cheap. I don't think a 650 or 750 would help the wallet much there. I'll post pics of posture later if I remember, but aside from riding on the balls of my feet, I feel quite comfortable. I rode an hour and 45 straight and wasn't fatigued or sore when I was done.

plan 2: take the rear fender, lights, exhaust, and seat off this bike, install on the parts bike, and sell as a complete, running CM400c, minus tach and front lights. Buy a new rear fender with crappy chrome on ebay, modify it to be lower profile with smaller lights, get a beat up seat pan and reupholster it and re-foam it, and make a more performance-oriented and much lighter exhaust out of the straight pipes I have. Only problem is that I'm not sure making the other bike much nicer will really add much to the sale price, considering the lack of title... At any rate, this route would see me keeping the black CM for at least another year, improving it along the way.

thoughts? School is over in a week, so then I'll have more time to work on this and progress will pick up.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
quote:Originally posted by gearheadE30

thoughts? School is over in a week, so then I'll have more time to work on this and progress will pick up.
Will you enjoy a system optimization project?

Do you think it's cooler to ride a slow bike fast than to ride a fast bike slow?

Dunno, right now my 05 GSXR is the only bike I've got that's rideable. I'm thinking old bikes are stupid and futile.

If you screw with your 400 for a year you'll be a better wrench/rider for it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
yeah, I will. I enjoy wrenching quite a bit, and I autocrossed and ran HPDE's in my car pre-turbo quite a bit. I find it a lot more enjoyable to drive a slow vehicle fast than a fast vehicle slow, so maybe the bike is a better fit for me, at least for now. And if it's anything like with a car, you learn a lot more about riding/driving when your horsepower can't cover all your mistakes.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Also, for future reference, I found this:

http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/InExTuning.htm

This will help with intake and exhaust work that I will eventually get around to, and even though it is more BMW-oriented, the theory is the same.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Gearhead good luck on the bike, I just got an 81 CM400C. I am in a similar situation being a college student that is broke, and that we both have bikes that the masses hate. If I come across any cool tips/tricks I will let you know.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Gearhead good luck on the bike, I just got an 81 CM400C. I am in a similar situation being a college student that is broke, and that we both have bikes that the masses hate. If I come across any cool tips/tricks I will let you know.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Likewise. If you need any parts...I have that '81 cm400c... haha. And if you try to do something with the seat, be aware that even though the Hawk and the cm400 have about the same frame, the seat pans are quite a bit different, and significantly wider.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Well, I have a few updates to make finally. On the '80, I got a Bridgestone S11 front tire for it that is being mounted now, bar end mirrors so I can actually see what is going on behind me, new grips (Progrip 714-they're awesome) and some general lubrication. I also installed some universal headlight mounts because the factory ones I had were cracked and broken from some past accident and would rattle whenever I hit the slightest bump. I also rebuilt the forks with new seals, 20wt oil, and cut/shimmed springs. I cut off 2.8 inches on each spring (20" length). Even after all these years, they are still well above minimum spec, which is 18.9 inches. I added a 2.7mm spacer on each side, which based on rough spring estimates should end up with about the right amount of sag for my weight. The factory springs are progressive (16 inches are 1/8" wire with 1/8" gap, 4 inches are 1/8" wire with a 1/16" gap) and I cut from the soft side. I haven't ridden yet because I'm still waiting on the tire to be mounted, but I'll report back when I have.

Interesting little note-the reason that my forks leaked so bad is that the previous owner installed the seals upside down. Brilliant. And completely ineffective at sealing.

I also managed, much to my surprise, to get the CM400c running. I rebuilt the carbs, reinstalled the entire ignition system as it came in a box of oil-dri rather than on the bike, put in new plugs, installed the straight pipes, checked oil, tensioned the balancer chain, and charged the battery-bam, fired right up. The bike rides really well, too, but the forks are on their way out. Even with 3 times the mileage of the '80, it seems at least as strong and may even run a little quieter, and doesn't smoke at all, ever. I was stunned. It's tentatively up for sale for $500 as a running but title-less bike. To be basically complete, it needs a headlight bucket and bulb, tach cable, tach, air filter, and new tires. That's it. At some point I'm going to have to go to the DMV and see how tough it is to get a rebuilt or salvage title.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
haha yeah, all measurements in inches. And I rode it today for the first time since reassembly. I haven't ridden hard at all because I'm still scrubbing in the new tire, but damn are the forks better now. I didn't realize just how floaty the thing was before. It could use a bit more compression damping, but rebound is spot on. sag is about 25% of travel right now, and ideally I need stiffer springs, but its a pretty good balance for a commuter and the occasional spirited ride. I also got the bigger brakes installed-they hadn't been run in years so I had to clean them out, but the feel is better and effort went down a little. they are also significantly lighter, both on the rotor and the caliper. All of the parts are a direct swap.

Next thing to come-new jets. The stockers are 72 and 118. I have 76, 120, 122, and 124 that I'm going to test out. Right now the midrange is okay, but it's pretty lean up top, and I'm really curious how much an effect the larger main will have on the full RPM range.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, I am very new to this site, so sorry if it isn't suppose to work like this, but I also have a cm 400 and would really like to buy your straight pipes if you're not using them/would like to get rid of them. I'm too new to email you directly, but I'm sure you could email me. Thanks and let me know,

Happy 4th of July!!

Dylan

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Thanks, you too! I just sent you an email, so let me know if you're interested.

Thanks,
Jordan

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nice work up on your CM's. I too am a CM400T owner. It was my first bike. I mostly just tinker on her. I've done some preliminary changes, nothing crazy or that required serious welding.

I've got some exhaust work I'm finishing up, I had a buddy with some Harley Davidson slip-on mufflers off his sportster he didn't need, that he gave me, so I'll be graphing on the existing system this winter. I'm working up a new theme for her, looking at a more cafe style look, than her present bobber.

I have a sportster now, but I'll get back to my HONDA this winter. So I'll have two bikes to bomb around town on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nice work up on your CM's. I too am a CM400T owner. It was my first bike. I mostly just tinker on her. I've done some preliminary changes, nothing crazy or that required serious welding.

I've got some exhaust work I'm finishing up, I had a buddy with some Harley Davidson slip-on mufflers off his sportster he didn't need, that he gave me, so I'll be graphing on the existing system this winter. I'm working up a new theme for her, looking at a more cafe style look, than her present bobber.

I have a sportster now, but I'll get back to my HONDA this winter. So I'll have two bikes to bomb around town on.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
My black CM is actually for sale right now. I've done a few small things to it since I posted in this thread last, but I don't know if I have any pics at the moment. Mostly just little cosmetic stuff like an integrated taillight and some fiddling with controls to make me fit a bit better. I'm probably going to get rid of the rather nasty flat black before I sell it too, but I'm not sure when I'll have time. In the meantime, I've picked up a 1979 Suzuki GS750. I understand why everyone is so hard on the CM now, although honestly the CM is a tad more willing in corners because it's lighter and I've done some suspension work. Oh, and the bike actually fits me. I had no idea how bad the position on the CM gets for someone who is 6'4"...

Anyway, if anyone is interested in my CM, feel free to contact me.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
My black CM is actually for sale right now. I've done a few small things to it since I posted in this thread last, but I don't know if I have any pics at the moment. Mostly just little cosmetic stuff like an integrated taillight and some fiddling with controls to make me fit a bit better. I'm probably going to get rid of the rather nasty flat black before I sell it too, but I'm not sure when I'll have time. In the meantime, I've picked up a 1979 Suzuki GS750. I understand why everyone is so hard on the CM now, although honestly the CM is a tad more willing in corners because it's lighter and I've done some suspension work. Oh, and the bike actually fits me. I had no idea how bad the position on the CM gets for someone who is 6'4"...

Anyway, if anyone is interested in my CM, feel free to contact me.

41 - 60 of 64 Posts