Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
without an english wheel or planishing hammer

just a sheet metal nibbler, bandsaw, a few hammers/shot bags, and my pexto

looks scary so far and I know you guys would be deeply disturbed emotionally and perhaps scarred for the rest of your lives

so I'll spare forcing you to view pix

·
Registered
204 Posts
Emotionally Disturbed? Nah, those guys got chased off after they didn't appreciate comments made by other members on the CB200 "project build". Those of us who remain are impervious to anything anyone can dish out. Pics Pics Pics!!!

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I've got a few of those tanks laying around, actually two standards (nice looking tank for a mid sized cafe) and a couple "Specials"....tear drop "I wanna be a Hardley" tanks. Is it going to take a ton of rework in the tunnel to fit it to your project? I'm putting one of the standards on my CB450/500T hybrid and short of moving the front bushing/puck thingies it's going to be pretty simple.

What about transplanting the tunnel portion from a tank that 'fits'?

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah man putting a decent tunnel in it won't be simple and to further complicate things

the bottom has been gutted

I refuse to use the petcocks so it gets bungs and some groovy petcocks

also the engine uses the parallel port heads

so clearing the carbs and throttle cables I am thinking will require running the cables thru the tank

then....... there is the fact a cutaway has to be done for the oil filler which will be located just behind the triple trees since I will be using the backbone for the tank and want the extra quart of oil capacity

and the thing doesn't want to just lay on the backbone after the stock bottom has been enirtely cut out as it fouls the rocker boxes

so it will be rather tedious and I'm estimating about 60-80 hours fab time

I guess I should learn to cut/fit/bend/and weld faster

I'll post some start up pix very soon

oh... grafting the tunnel from a OIF tank proper is not a viable option since none of the lines will match up and I've decided that approach will be far more trouble than starting from raw steel

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
fine, I'll see about tightening up my pearl maker

1 - 6 of 6 Posts