Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i was riding in to work this morning and realized that i need to find some good cold weather gear. its about 50 to 60 degrees, and dropping, in the morning and after a 45min ride on the freeway i have had about enough. currently i just wear jeans and change into slacks once i get to work, but i am lazy and hate doing it.

during my morning ride today i pulled up next to a Harley, i live in Milwaukee so there everywhere, and he had on a pair of chaps. does anyone here combine chaps and cafe racer?

i can see this getting kind of interesting, but i feel that i need to know.

·
Registered
699 Posts
there are several companies that make cold weather gear, i wouldnt go so low as to wear chaps on a cool bike, chaps are for people on stupid stock looking harleys. go to www.newenough.com they have closeout gear and the guy who owns the place writes a REAL WORLD review on every article of clothing in there. it was 53 when i left the house this morning and i have a 15 minutes ride on the interstate...im wearing boots, jeans, a carhartt jacket and if i could just keep my hands warm id be fine. i can't find a warm glove yet around my house that lets me still move my fingers!

·
Registered
699 Posts
there are several companies that make cold weather gear, i wouldnt go so low as to wear chaps on a cool bike, chaps are for people on stupid stock looking harleys. go to www.newenough.com they have closeout gear and the guy who owns the place writes a REAL WORLD review on every article of clothing in there. it was 53 when i left the house this morning and i have a 15 minutes ride on the interstate...im wearing boots, jeans, a carhartt jacket and if i could just keep my hands warm id be fine. i can't find a warm glove yet around my house that lets me still move my fingers!

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
quote:Originally posted by oneworden

so i was riding in to work this morning and realized that i need to find some good cold weather gear. its about 50 to 60 degrees, and dropping, in the morning and after a 45min ride on the freeway i have had about enough. currently i just wear jeans and change into slacks once i get to work, but i am lazy and hate doing it.

during my morning ride today i pulled up next to a Harley, i live in Milwaukee so there everywhere, and he had on a pair of chaps. does anyone here combine chaps and cafe racer?

i can see this getting kind of interesting, but i feel that i need to know.
Fuckin chaps? You're kidding right?

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
any overpants are great, leather or textile, that way you're not changing pants once you're at work. i have a set of Rev-It!s that are also waterproof, vented, and have an extra liner for cold or wet days. but even a cheap pair of rainpants keeps the wind from slicing through.

then when it gets really cold electric gloves and vests are great...i use Widder.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i think that chaps look like crap and carry the idea of a village people lover, but i need to keep the wind off of me and most of the over pants out there make you look like your wearing a diaper. i need a new solution and was thinking that they would provide what i needed, but may look stupider than the diaper.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Silk long underwear.

Not bulky & uncomfortable, yet very warm. Doesn't solve the problem of having to change once you get to work, however. Look through L.L. Bean, or J. Crew, and they even have silk glove liners & socks.

Plus... then you'd be all silky.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Skip all that and put a fairing on your bike for cold weather riding. Other than that nothing beats cold weather like leather...but I would skip the chaps - too much like village people stuff... I'd look into ski wear pants with zippers running up the leg, easy on and easy off...

·
Registered
692 Posts
Sounds like cheatin but go and buy a Gerbings or a Tourmaster heated jacket and pants . I refused for the longest time wearing layers and longjohns but one morning a buddy showed up for a ride nice and warm with a Gerbings vest and pants all toasty and I was with layers of shit and stuffing my leather on looking like a fucking sausage . And still a little chilly . My next purchase will be some plug in shit . Call me a cheat. But I'll be a warm cheat.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Oh , and lastly : Chaps are gay.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I hear yah on finding warm clothing as I'm up in Neenah which about 100 miles north of Milwaukee. Monday I when I finally got to work, my eyes were watering, nose running, and it didn't even feel like I had pant on riding for the 10 miles to work on just the county highway doing just 50. I did notice when I wear looser pants thicker denim or not it's actually worse then wearing something close fitting like my levi skinny jeans. I just wear a my Honda mechanic work jacket and a sweatshirt and my skinny jeans and I'm set. Gloves I just have some gloves I got on clearance at one of the local bike shops. Just some leather jobbies with carbon knuckles thingies. If it gets too unbearable I may sport my dickie coveralls.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i rocked out some Carhart bibs and jacket on my cb200 into December. car broke and i still had to work. i think that i found a good set, but i am worried i am going to look like i just can out apex on road america. my bike isn't fast enough for road america.

the silk sounds like fun...i could see it for the gloves and maybe a small undershirt.

i just want an economical cheap way to do this.

by the way wanker where did you take the picture?

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
dudes. dress in layers....good layers! base layer, micro fiber shirt, micro fiber pants. mid layer soft shell jacket or vest. outer layer/shell should be a 4 season jacket and pants, with removable wind/water layer and removable thermal liner. most over pants will not have a thermal liner, but all should have a removable wind/water liner.

as for winter gloves....they have come along way in design and technology from the old big, fat mittens....however, good stuff costs a little more than $50.00 bucks.

out next week is the new Rev'it! Tempest Glove. It is a full gauntlet, with PCM (phase changing material) and an Exkin Thermal Lining. Carbon Fiber Knuckles, Superfabric, and Constructed with Goatskin (they are super soft, supple, and thus more tactile than any other winter glove you EVER wore).

www.revit.eu

reviews: www.webbikeworld.com

cheers,

texy

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
Texy is a Rev-it whore!!!!

Of course he is also right. I have ridden down to below zero and for the last 10 years my main winter transportation has been a snowmobile. Layers is the only way to go. That way as the conditions change you can change the layers to meet them. In this kind of early fall weather, just putting a pair of wind pants over a pair of jeans will make all the difference. Get some good gloves. Warm fingers make for a pleasant ride.

Ken

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
You guys that worry about how you look might as well park your bikes when it gets to September in the northern states. If you like riding more than you worry about how you look get one of the many available overpants that tt and Tex are talking about. I was able to commute to work year round in upstate NY, as long as there was no snow on the road, with an Aerostich suit and electric gloves. My commute these days is a little shorter so I haven't been riding as much. You can ride as long as you want, in comfort, with the correct gear. But you won't have the "look" doing it.

Craig

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
as a fellow outdoor bum, I gotta side with Tex and Ken on this: LAYERS!!! Thin base, lofty mid, wind/weather proof outer.

And if you're more worried about looking cool than being warm, there's no hope for you anyway...

·
Registered
39 Posts
35 degrees at my house this morning. . .40 miles up I-89 to work, with the height of land 1000' higher than where we live. Plenty frosty. Got to ride to work at least until mid-November, it's a looong winter of carpool hell, staring through the windshield at an hour of the opening credits of "Fargo" and listening to endless chatter about husbands, kids, hair, nails, clothes. . . YAAAAHH!!!

Had a couple of days in mesh gear last week, now I'm in the heavy stuff, motocross boots with wool socks, jeans & long underwear (Duofolds with cute li'l roses, of course). Turtleneck, electric vest, fleece jacket, and over all my beat up old 'Stich. Stow the suit in the saddlebags when I get to work, change into scrubs once inside, red face and running nose and clutching my coffee. Thankfully, my boss caught the disease from me, she's got no knees left so she rides a maxi-scoot on her three-mile commute every day the roads are clear, she gets it.

Electric gear cheating? If it adds a month to riding season? Riding home on a dark, November evening of pissing rain, dodging the moose and singing John Prine's "Paradise", my hands are warm and my shoulders are loose for the climb up that last mile of steep, loose gravel. . .

·
Registered
692 Posts
quote:Originally posted by oneworden

by the way wanker where did you take the picture?
Why , you in the market for chaps ? [:eek:)]:D[B)]

Grabbed it off google somewhere . Didn't realize till now it had a Wizard Of Oz theme . Don't look too warm either......

1 - 20 of 22 Posts