Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning gents, big question I've got. I know the discription of it is going to be vauge, but I hope there's another common restore answer out there. My bike won't run. First thing I did was check the spark, good to go. Second was replace the fuel with new stuff, check. After I did this I pulled the plugs and dropped a few drops of petrol directly in the cylinders; put the plugs back in and she fired right up... then died. Then I removed the tank and petcock and cleaned both of them up all good and shiney. Took the carb out because that's the main source of 90% of engine issues on older bikes; tore it down and it's clean as a whistle.

Does anyone else have any sugguestions as what to check next? I know the only three things an internal combustion engine needs is air, fuel, and compression. When I was taking the carb out I had to disconnect the airbox and I saw that the breather joint tube was disconnected, I doubt that would be my main issue with the bike not turning over and running. Here's the parts fiche for ya'll the piece that wasn't connected is part 23. The bike is an '82 CM250 Custom.

http://www.hondaparts-direct.com/fi...ry=Motorcycles&make=Honda&year=1982&fveh=3166

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I'm stupid and my middle name is danger. And I have an uncle that lives in Kentucky and he's a redneck, so yeah! Lets hear it!

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
No Gas - No Go. Looks like a fuel problem. Old fuel can really clog the jets up bad. Check out a auto parts store and look for a 1 gallon can of carb cleaner. The can will come with a basket inside. Stick the carbs in there for a few days and see if that helps.

good luck

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Should I disassemble the carb or should I just drop it in like I'm deep frying some chicken? I picked up a bottle of the spray on carb cleaner + choke cleaner and it didn't look like it did anything. I ran a very thin wire through the jets and no gunk or anything like that came out on the wire. The dealer that I bought the bike from said it was only sitting for about 9 months.

I was talking with the resident wrench head at our VinMoto service/repair shop and he said best bet is a full carb rebuild. I think he's blowin smoke up my ass because it looks brand new.

I'll pick up the family sized carb cleaner and see what it do.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I would take the bottom off the carbs and remove the screw in jets before dropping them into the carb cleaner (just like frying chicken). The carb rebuild kits are really just gaskets and new pilot jets and such. It may be a good idea to rebuild them, the cost is not that much. The most important part is to ensure the float levels are set correctly when assembling. The carb setup should be in your manual and if you don't have a manual - you should get one.

I like the dip method vs a can cleaning. With the dip method, it will clean the carbs better and it can be re-used over and over. You may also check out the petcock for crap. The bottom should unscrew, inside will be a brass filter, check that for dirt.

Good luck - yesterday was 50, today it snowed...rats

1 - 7 of 7 Posts