Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep, my Gateway POS finally died. don't know why and I don't really care, it was 7 years old. So I haven't been able to check in with all y'all for awhile. Slammed at work, except for a few minutes right now.
I'm thinking about either an HP or Dell. Would've sworn I was gonna buy an iMac, but I'm not so sure now, kinda 'spensive.
Anyway, funny shit with the mopeds.

FR

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
the macs are nice.

depends on what youre doing.

or buy a dell.

jc

·
Registered
569 Posts
check ibm.com, on the main page look for buy ibm certified used, I bought a desktop last year, 3 gig, 75 gig drive dvd/cd/burner, xp loaded, bunch of ram, everything except a monitor, $242. to my door, 2 days, if its was used I couldn't tell..

d.

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Hey, if you Gateway lasted 7 years it wasn't a POS. That's about three years over the average lifespan. Plus it had to be getting stupid obsolete by now.
I usually build my own using Intel components.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
147 Posts
You can get great deal on Barebones deals from places like tigerdirect. You save a buttload of money and computers are easier to put together than most people think.

If you buy a dell, they have a refurb department on their website too. I've been told that their refurb stuff is better than the brand new stuff. They supposedly run a bunch more diagnostic tests on the refurb computers in order to make sure they don't fail again.

The best kind of justice is angry mob justice.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am a SR Developer for GEICO. (oddly enough i built and now maintain the cycle insurance application) If you have any questions about PCs you can post them or email me jwood0fw (a) umw.edu 7th year senior, thats what happens when you work full time and goto college.

Edited by - Jwood on Jul 30 2007 6:44:26 PM

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
quote:quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

buy an abacus!!

JS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is that made by Dell or Apple?....

JS

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all, for the advice/offers/suggestions. The used ibm route looks good right now, leaving money in the bank for some other things.
JohnnyB, you're right, it's just that for the last year or so the two cooling fans in the tower were so noisy I started to hate the thing. I took them both out to get replacements and couldn't find any that would just plug in. And Gateway wanted about $40 each for 'em.
I knew if I bought 'em and put them in, the thing would die the next week, so I didn't, and it actually lasted a few months longer than I thought it would.

FR

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all, for the advice/offers/suggestions. The used ibm route looks good right now, leaving money in the bank for some other things.
JohnnyB, you're right, it's just that for the last year or so the two cooling fans in the tower were so noisy I started to hate the thing. I took them both out to get replacements and couldn't find any that would just plug in. And Gateway wanted about $40 each for 'em.
I knew if I bought 'em and put them in, the thing would die the next week, so I didn't, and it actually lasted a few months longer than I thought it would.

FR

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
So....you are saying you subjected your machine to a slow death from heat? That's cruel.
I run two fans in the back, two in the front. Need them to cool the two PCIE graphics cards which have heat pipe coolers instead of individual fans.
The CPU has a temp sensitive fan that speeds up when the CPU is under load.
You'll probably love whatever new machine you get...should be about ten times faster than what you had.
JohnnyB

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
So....you are saying you subjected your machine to a slow death from heat? That's cruel.
I run two fans in the back, two in the front. Need them to cool the two PCIE graphics cards which have heat pipe coolers instead of individual fans.
The CPU has a temp sensitive fan that speeds up when the CPU is under load.
You'll probably love whatever new machine you get...should be about ten times faster than what you had.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
there is a very cool little app i used a hile back that you can google to find. is a cpu thermometer. it appears in the task bar on your screen. it shows the temp in live time. i thought it was cool when i was using it.

google for it./

jc

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
there is a very cool little app i used a hile back that you can google to find. is a cpu thermometer. it appears in the task bar on your screen. it shows the temp in live time. i thought it was cool when i was using it.

google for it./

jc

·
Registered
453 Posts
i have a dell laptop, it's a great machine HOWEVER their customer service sucks balls. make sure if you buy the dell to get the long in home service contract.

fat people are harder to kidnap

·
Registered
453 Posts
i have a dell laptop, it's a great machine HOWEVER their customer service sucks balls. make sure if you buy the dell to get the long in home service contract.

fat people are harder to kidnap

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
you can try www.fatwallet.com look under hot deals.

Dell has the same thing as IBM does they are refurbished,or taken out of stock from other stores so they cannt resell them as new.Look under refurbished units ,go for a lap top no one buys desk tops any more.

I bought my wifes lap top two years ago NEW from dell for 700 bucks with wireless lap top card and eithernet card .It still rocks.

Dells are the best .

Im so far behind ,that I think Im in first.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts