Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I'm on the road to converting my old 1975 Honda PC50 into a cafe racer.
This is what I've drawn up to far, give me some ideas on what I should customize and ideas on the colour scheme!
Thank everybody!
image.jpg

·
Registered
522 Posts
I'm guessing 1970 Motor Minarelli CF Junior Cafe Racer Classic Vintage Rare Italian | eBay is the kind of thing your after... I wouldn't go as far as to call it a cafe racer though what ever the advert says. Basically it's a sporty moped.

It depends on your fabrication skills tbh and whether you're doing it for the right reasons I guess. Yer you could do it, sure, but the question is should you. You certainly won't make any money off it, but if you've always wanted a sporty moped... go for it ;)

·
Registered
865 Posts
mopeds are cool. Its already slow, why make it uncomfortable AND slow?

Easiest way to make what you want with what you got is to find some PS50 parts, weld a top tube on your frame and figure the rest out. Don't think they sold the PS50 stateside, so good luck with that.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm not too sure about this idea...
it's a little bit hard to do... you're going to be adding weight and also making it uncomfortable.

·
Registered
23,302 Posts
Can you build a street racer moped? I suppose it is possible. People raced mineralli's, Garelli's, Derbi's, Kriedlers, honda mb5s, kawasaki Ar50s, et al. However, just like real bikes it pays to start with the right platform. Ig you are doing this to a Honda Hobbit or a vespa ciao, then the best way to convert to a racer is to sell it and use the money to buy the right platform.

Larrybones used to have some really neat hot rod puchs, but again he had aftermarket support for those bikes and knew what and where to source good parts (like campagnolo light weight wheels from other models and stuff).

building a racer is more than just bolting on a seat and top tank and some bars. Like anything worth doing it requires research and planning your modifications. Making poorly done pen and ink renderings to figure out "colour" scheme at this stage is just stupid. If you look at the mopeds people are racing today in vintage classes, a lot of them have mods that are more in line with real GP racing motorcycles of the era, this isn't just add a top tank and low bars proposition.

·
Registered
23,302 Posts
this is larrybone's puch magnum:

IMG_0136.jpg

I had a hard time keeping up with this in brooklyn traffic on a real motorcycle. For the first 50 feet of any stop light he would obliterate anything in his path. If you are seriously considering a moped, sell whatever you have now and buy a puch magnum with a top tank. The other one I would look for is an FS1E "Fizzie". Tons of aftermarket and hop up tricks and again another top tank bike from the factory.

·
Registered
10,458 Posts
That was one of the only mopeds that I ever actually wanted.
He had some silly Peugeot too.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts