Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
That thing is sick. Looks like it would be a blast to ride.

Hey someone pas me the wrench........ Ahh screw it where is the torch

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Way sick, but Machine of Death comes to mind.

I'm trying to decide what the fail point would be if I rode it. The rear subframe, the bar mounts, or just bust the neck right out of the frame. I thinks they got way more motor than chassis.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah there are a few things you could nit-pick about it. The choice to use a 21" rear wheel would be number one. Then the bicycle wheel up front and lastly the fork. We use those on our bikes, bikes as in bicycles.

That WILL bend. All that aside the project is really well done. Especially looking at some of the equip they are using. Inspiring.

BORN TO LURK, FORCED TO WORK.
www.NYCvinMoto.com
www.VinMoto.org

Edited by - ROSKO on Dec 03 2007 03:07:41 AM

·
Registered
97 Posts
Wow, that thing is cool. I agree that the longevity of that bike is probably not going to be great. I can imagine the moment this project was thought up: In the middle of one of those long soul crushing type of mountain bike climbs. I know I've thought of it a time or two myself.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Props to anyone who can clean sheet a design, fab it up, and ride it. For a senior project, that's killer. But it looks to me like zero margin for error on that thing; generate some major speed, guess wrong once, pringle the rims, a visit to the orthopedist will be next. Pay the med bills by selling those swing arms to the xr100 freaks. Cool experiment.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Could you show me a side view of that? I have never seen a chain setup like that. I live in the flatlands of Illinois, so downhill bikes are almost nonexistent around here. My freeride bike is overkill for about 90% of the terrain around here. Even though I managed to snap the swingarm in two this spring and blow most of my riding season this year.I'll never buy a bike from a chain store again. It took them five months to fix my bike under warranty. I know this is a terrible pic, but I love her anyway.

So now the front half is a North face Talkeetna, and the back is an Iron Horse Warrior(same bike, different paint). I like the gloss black and flat black mix though.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
quote:
It's a proprietary drive system first introduced in the mid-90's. Without getting to into it, basically the jack shaft/ pivot eliminates chain stretch and isolates pedal forces from the suspension yadda-yadda.

BORN TO LURK, FORCED TO WORK.
www.NYCvinMoto.com
www.VinMoto.org
...you guys build the coolest bikes!!!

"Better a cruel truth than a comfortable delusion." -Edward Abbey

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
incidently, honda chopper builders used to use a jackshaft system similar to that to get 200mm rear tires on their chops.

If someone wanted to built a cafe with a 180 tire, I imagine this would be one way to do it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts