Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just made this valve guide removal and installation tool for the 175 (not stock guides).
I'm so proud of it I have to post a picture....check the knurling.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
504 Posts
quote:
Just made this valve guide removal and installation tool for the 175 (not stock guides).
I'm so proud of it I have to post a picture....check the knurling.
JohnnyB
JB,
Knurls should have sharp points. ;)

FC

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Knurling tool steel on my little lathe is kind of touchy.

I've got a scissor type knurling tool with two nice rounded carbide rollers....how much pressure should I crank the nut down to? It seemed to roll easy enough but the longitudinal feed was kind of hard.

And anyway..I just wanted a little bit just for some tactil feedback :)
JohnnyB

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
has to be on a web server. Send it to me and I'll post it, or I'll send you directions.

"Scott, Don't follow Carl McCallister into the bowl" Evil

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Of course thats absolutely beautiful....but the problem is....you didn't "MAKE" it.....the machine made it, you designed it.

Yes Frank, I am still a craftsman...while you are a high tech, clean hands sort of guy :) I could make that same part manually in about 24 hours of continous machining. Ok ok....in 72 hours...cause I'd probably mess it up a couple of times and have to start over.

Did you include any design tricks in the head? More finning? different finning? etc.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
504 Posts
JB,
It took a few hours to program and about 5 hours of machine time. Another hour to lathe out the chamber. It's going to run 15:1 compression. The enduro head was 10:1. I used the only piece of stock we had, that's why the fins are short. I can make them thinner but it takes a bit longer with small endmills. If we were making them for sale we could probably get the machining time down to 3 hours so they still would be rather expensive.

FC

·
Registered
504 Posts
JB,
I just weighed it and it's about 13oz heavier, but the CT1 is at least 40 lbs lighter than my twins. If I make another one I'll probably make the fins on both sides the same so they will be easier to machine and I might try making the squish wider with a deeper pocket. I was limited on this one by the thickness of the stock....and I didn't think ahead as much as I should have.

FC

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Frank..now that you have a master...or when you get it the way you like...it could go out to a casting company...then you just finish machine it.

Or...I could copy it with my dremel tool....$16,000 a piece should cover it.

I wondering what my bike might look like if I had your facilities.

15:1? Two strokes use compression that high?
Get that baby together...I want to see you giving Phil a run for his money in ULWSV.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
504 Posts
quote:
15:1? Two strokes use compression that high?

JohnnyB
JB,
I was surprised when I finally got around to checking my twins after I had guessed at how much to take off the head and it came out to 15:1. I called Kevin and he wasn't surprised that I could run that high. The CT1 enduro head comes out to about 10:1 and it's hard to bump off. I hope I can start it at 15:1. If not I'll notch the cylinder above the exhaust to lower the compression at low RPM. We used to do that when the CT1's were new and broke the gear behind the clutch when they kicked back. I might be able to rig a compression release. I don't remember if the releases we used to slow down made it easier to kick over.

FC

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Frank,
My Fireball racer has to have some compression as it skids the rear in any gear when I try to bump start it!! Hopefully I can figure it out as the 50cc starts are bump. Also the TA125 is done and runs great,2nd gear,push for a couple of feet and pow...fires right up. Man that thing revs to the moon. Lots of getting used to for me,IE: 2 stroke(yikes)-weird power band-NARROW-and the seat/tank postion is really different than the Ducati.

Should be fun........anyway,it will give everybody a good laugh.

Champ

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
New guides are machined and installed....I have like one day to get the bike together.
JohnnyB

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Scott, yes, the valves on the far right are stock exhaust. Middle are Manley exhaust, left are Ferrea intakes.

Guides from left to right are, OEM intake, old custom Kibblewhite, my copies of the custom kibblewhite.
JohnnyB

1 - 19 of 19 Posts