Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The inside of the gas tank of a 1973 TS400 I just picked up, is covered with about 1/4 inch thick layer of white/grey/brownish flakey crap ( and some rust ). I am assuming that it is an old Kreem Coating, that is dead. I have seen quite a few chats about removing rust, but what about old dead tank liner/coating. The old Harley dude nextdoor, say's a good hot fire will remove everything. Is this guy kidding ?. Start a fire and start tossing bike parts on it ?.

Anybody have any hotdogs ???

John

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
try concrete etch. get like a gallon and slosh it in there for about an hour with some drywall screws. then repeat until its pretty inside.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
acetone

·
Registered
86 Posts
http://www.kreemproducts.net/t-faq.aspx

or the part that is important for you

How can I remove old KREEM?
Acetone or methyl ethyl ketone (available at most paint stores) will re-dissolve Kreem. Fill about half full, seal the tank and leave for about 24 hours with periodic agitation. Drain into a container and inspect tank. If Kreem remains, pour solutions back into tank, reseal and repeat until all Kreem is removed.

·
Registered
86 Posts
as for rust.

this is a great one i read on JJ by Fredo

I use the mechanical method. No liquids, no waiting a week or two for it to work, no mess to clean up later.

You'll need a box of BB's, a blanket, a way to plug all openings and fitting on the tank, several blankets and a clothes drier.

1) Plug all holes and fittings on tank.

2) Pour in the box of BB's

3) Tightly wrap the tank in a blanket and secure with tape, bungie cord or whatever.

4) Using the remainding blankets as padding to avoid movement of the tank place the tank in the clothes drier and close the door.

5) SET DRIER TO NO HEAT! Turn drier on and let that sucker tumble for about an hr or 2 depending on amount of rust.

6) Remove your super clean on the inside gas tank from drier and pour out the ALL BB's and instal on bike.

7) Get many girls to blow you since you're an environmentaly swell guy and do stuff the green way.

No waste, no mess, no shit....honest.

·
Registered
838 Posts
As mentioned before, Kreem, as well as most other tank coatings, can be softened and removed using Methyl Ethyl Ketone. Just be careful, as it's really nasty and highly flamable stuff.

As for the BB's, sheetrock screws, or other small objects in the clothes dryer trick. You will need to reposition the tank a couple times to evenly clean all sides of the tank. Also, the process works best when the wife isn't home.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
At the radiator shop we used to burn old liners out with an oxy torch. Since the boil out tank is mostly MEK we used to throw motorcycle tanks in but the only way to get redkote out was to burn the fucker out. When it came to motorcycle tanks we didn't even bother unless it was kreem because the heat warps it.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
although either chemical is quite hazardous to handle

MEK is far more wicked and unforgiving

be careful

quote:Originally posted by CB550 Matt

http://www.kreemproducts.net/t-faq.aspx

or the part that is important for you

How can I remove old KREEM?
Acetone or methyl ethyl ketone (available at most paint stores) will re-dissolve Kreem. Fill about half full, seal the tank and leave for about 24 hours with periodic agitation. Drain into a container and inspect tank. If Kreem remains, pour solutions back into tank, reseal and repeat until all Kreem is removed.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
quote:Originally posted by texmawby

m.e.k........nasty, unforgiving shit.

texy
use it at the shop all the time.

love it.

so glad you can still buy it with out a permit or license of some kind.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
I typically buy about 5 gallons at a time

last time I had to show my license and wait for them to call the police I suppose to make sure I had no drug charges

but it will mess you up bad

I don't recommend breathing it or bathing with it

1 - 13 of 13 Posts