Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a CR750 tank and seat off ebay used that i couldnt pass up. i havent mounted them yet and im not sure of the best plan yet but i wanted to ask if anyone else used the same set up and what they did for a tail light.
tank and seat are from airtech
thanks

There is the right way, the wrong way and the british way to do anything!

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I got a set of japanese front turn signals (red lenses) and bolted them to the frame on either side of the tailsection. plate bolts in the middle:

·
Registered
10,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the seat isnt like that....there is a gap where the "hump" doesnt go all the way to the frame. im no good at posting pics or i would

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
The cr750 seat has two tabs that come down at the back and use the rear holes in the frame (the same ones I used for the signals) to locate the seat position, so it is possible to still do this.

However since it looks like you want to fill that little rearward openaing of the cr750 seat instead, I would suggest a hayabusa taillight and you make a mounting bracket that allows it to bolt between the frame rails using those same holes (which are originally fender mount holes.

·
Registered
10,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh but i guess the other piece of important info is my bike is and F not a K so that also explains why those tabs and the holes in the frame dont line up. they miss by about 3 in. the F frame is longer then a K right?
also i got a right angle braket to mound the rear of the tank but its SOOO ugly is there a less noticeable way to mount the tank?
have you used busa light? ive seen them done with LEDs and have the turn signals built right in....kinda cool

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hell Yeah is that bike BEING RODE?!!! God Damn!

Banned From The Pubs..
'73 CB350(RIP)
'74 CB750K3 Cafe Thriller

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:
Geet, when you gonna let that thing out of hiding?

BORN TO LURK, FORCED TO WORK.
www.NYCvinMoto.com
www.VinMoto.org
I need to buy insurance for it and register it. Maybe that is what I will do this weekend. I haven't yet because it needs a left side fork seal and some rear brake work but I wasn't able to get it done because the T500 was clogging my lift.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I was talking with a buddy of mine about the cr750 and he brought up an interesting point about the tail. He thinks that the space in the back of the tail was put there to reduce drag and prevent lift at speed. His theory is that since conventional bubble back seats are open underneath they catch turbulent air from underneath the tire which has nowhere to go. Also because of the shape of conventional seats and the turbulent air underneath the seat acts like an airfoil and lifts the rear of the bike. If you look at the racebikes toward the end of the 70's they went from the traditional bubble back design to having ducktail spoilers that add downforce (tz750 and DOHC cb750F for example).

the reason I bring this up is presumably you want to put a taillight in that space. While I don't think it matters on a street bike that will only rarely see triple digit speeds, just thought I would throw that out there.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I am also going through the dilemma of a tail light.. searching ebay for some chopper/bobber thing that doesnt look too OCC is proving to be a bust.. can you guys tell me what you are using or point me in the right direction..post some pics its real easy.. at this point i am thninking about using a round trailer light about 3" across and having a buddy machine an aluminum housing.. im starting to give up. Help before i buy a sweet "tombstone" or "maltese cross" light..cause thats all i can find

http://www.driftalliance.com

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
if you are going to use a bubble back tail section why not use a '40 ford taillight or even better a '50 pontiac taillight? mooneyes sells them both. If you want the flush look you can always get a 61-67 corvette taillight and turn it upsidedown.

if not there are plenty of other options like the sparto limp dick taillight, cat eyes, and the like. YOu can also use one of those sidemounts but I am leery of them because visibility is not always the best.

If you want to get creative you can use red lensed turn signals, or raid the lighting section at autozone or pep boys for flushmount led lights, much better than those cheapie trailer round lights.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
or spring for the fancy trailer light!
its extremely bright and looks retarted. until you and the bike fall in love and you learn to appreciate the uglyness.

'72 cb750
'76 cb550

1 - 12 of 12 Posts