Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ever show up to check out a potential Craigslist purchase with a tool bag, test light, and a compression checker?

as a seller, it wouldn't bother me in the least, but it certainly seems to make some dudes fussy!

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
You would be surprised what I show up with to check out CL ads.

I once showed up with a compression tester, an inspection camera, and an original honda tool kit, which I was not allowed to use because the seller did not want me pulling the plugs. Turns out he had stripped one and it was in there by a thread and he didn't want to have to take a loss on the bike because someone would need to retap the head.

To look at an e39 BMW this weekend I brought a BMW tech, who the owner would not allow to drive the car. "You are buying" he said "He's not!". I think you can guess that I did not buy the car. He also wouldn't let my friend crawl under the car after we heard a clunking noise.

I find that as long as you tell them that you plan on doing a through inspection of the vehicle and that you are bringing tools most are ususally ok.

I used to be really picky about other people taking my bikes apart that I had for sale after a potential buyer striped a plug hole on my GT380s and after taking the heads off, just left without putting them back on. Now I give them a little quiz and often will help them, and I always say upfront you break it you bought it, and if you take it off you have to put it back on.

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
You would be surprised what I show up with to check out CL ads.

I once showed up with a compression tester, an inspection camera, and an original honda tool kit, which I was not allowed to use because the seller did not want me pulling the plugs. Turns out he had stripped one and it was in there by a thread and he didn't want to have to take a loss on the bike because someone would need to retap the head.

To look at an e39 BMW this weekend I brought a BMW tech, who the owner would not allow to drive the car. "You are buying" he said "He's not!". I think you can guess that I did not buy the car. He also wouldn't let my friend crawl under the car after we heard a clunking noise.

I find that as long as you tell them that you plan on doing a through inspection of the vehicle and that you are bringing tools most are ususally ok.

I used to be really picky about other people taking my bikes apart that I had for sale after a potential buyer striped a plug hole on my GT380s and after taking the heads off, just left without putting them back on. Now I give them a little quiz and often will help them, and I always say upfront you break it you bought it, and if you take it off you have to put it back on.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I know CL is not the best place to buy anything - if anyone has junk, that's the place it will most likely get dumped. If I was going to buy anything and brought an 'expert' with me and the seller refused to let this person check out the item - then we would both be back on the road heading home.

BTW - The latest scam I've seen on CL are items listed with really low prices. If the asking price is too low to be believed - then it is most likely a scam. Let the buyer beware....

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I know CL is not the best place to buy anything - if anyone has junk, that's the place it will most likely get dumped. If I was going to buy anything and brought an 'expert' with me and the seller refused to let this person check out the item - then we would both be back on the road heading home.

BTW - The latest scam I've seen on CL are items listed with really low prices. If the asking price is too low to be believed - then it is most likely a scam. Let the buyer beware....

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i don't think i'd be as cool as to let some cat dig into the top end of any bike i was selling, but wouldn't bat an eye at a quick compression test or a poke through the electrical system if it were a "not currently running but ran when it was parked" sale. hell, i'd help. but then again, if it were my sale, i'd already have a good idea what was wrong in the first place. in the future, i think i'll just leave my equipment in the car and feel the seller out before broaching the subject of a quick diagnosis. it's not like i'm trying to get it running before i hand over the cash; just an informed buyer trying to decide if it's worth loading into a truck.

i hope others can chime in with similar stories.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i don't think i'd be as cool as to let some cat dig into the top end of any bike i was selling, but wouldn't bat an eye at a quick compression test or a poke through the electrical system if it were a "not currently running but ran when it was parked" sale. hell, i'd help. but then again, if it were my sale, i'd already have a good idea what was wrong in the first place. in the future, i think i'll just leave my equipment in the car and feel the seller out before broaching the subject of a quick diagnosis. it's not like i'm trying to get it running before i hand over the cash; just an informed buyer trying to decide if it's worth loading into a truck.

i hope others can chime in with similar stories.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
something to keep me busy over the winter and hopefully make some beer money in the spring. missed a clean, running CL350 in howell for $150 by a day! lost sleep over that one!

buy fall, sell spring.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
something to keep me busy over the winter and hopefully make some beer money in the spring. missed a clean, running CL350 in howell for $150 by a day! lost sleep over that one!

buy fall, sell spring.

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
quote:Originally posted by catboy

i don't think i'd be as cool as to let some cat dig into the top end of any bike i was selling,
when selling non running two strokes this is almost a requirement. Then again, with two strokes, unless you are looking at a GT750, it is usually 4 bolts and the head is off.

what happened to you catboy that prompted this thread?

The newest problem with vintage bike buying, at least in brooklyn, is that so many dipshits who haven't a clue as to what they bought are now selling their over their head projects. Often these bikes are awesome deals because something as simple as a mile of coiled fuel line under a tank is beyond the hipster mechanical lexicon (true story - I once bought a cb750 that had 4 feet of fuel line between the tank and the carbs, paid $300 - pushed the bike around the corner, cut the line, and rode it home). However since these pie eyed kids didn't bring any tools with them when they bought it the first time, the prospect that someone would show up with tools when they sell scares the shit out of them (esp if they are the same age as me or close to it). I get more resistance from the 20 somethings selling derelict hondas than I get from the 50 somethings selling backyard bikes.

The above paragraph serves as a warning to all you newbies out there: if you don't know what you are doing, don't just try and fake it, bring someone else along who at least knows how a motorbike works. This also means don't just show up with tools now when buying bikes unless you know how to use them! if you break someone's bike because your internet directions on how to do a compression test were not clear you are gonna have to buy that bike.

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
quote:Originally posted by catboy

i don't think i'd be as cool as to let some cat dig into the top end of any bike i was selling,
when selling non running two strokes this is almost a requirement. Then again, with two strokes, unless you are looking at a GT750, it is usually 4 bolts and the head is off.

what happened to you catboy that prompted this thread?

The newest problem with vintage bike buying, at least in brooklyn, is that so many dipshits who haven't a clue as to what they bought are now selling their over their head projects. Often these bikes are awesome deals because something as simple as a mile of coiled fuel line under a tank is beyond the hipster mechanical lexicon (true story - I once bought a cb750 that had 4 feet of fuel line between the tank and the carbs, paid $300 - pushed the bike around the corner, cut the line, and rode it home). However since these pie eyed kids didn't bring any tools with them when they bought it the first time, the prospect that someone would show up with tools when they sell scares the shit out of them (esp if they are the same age as me or close to it). I get more resistance from the 20 somethings selling derelict hondas than I get from the 50 somethings selling backyard bikes.

The above paragraph serves as a warning to all you newbies out there: if you don't know what you are doing, don't just try and fake it, bring someone else along who at least knows how a motorbike works. This also means don't just show up with tools now when buying bikes unless you know how to use them! if you break someone's bike because your internet directions on how to do a compression test were not clear you are gonna have to buy that bike.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
funny, kind of a cross between your last little paragraph...

dude bought a "project", wheeled into his garage (which doubled as a "practice space" (or "detroit hipster mating ground") and there it sat. i think he just got nervous in thinking that i'd a) find a deal-breaker problem, or 2) break his "vintage classic goldmine of hipness". basically, i got the impression he was uncomfortable showing it to someone who even appears to know what they're looking at. "well, my bro said he'd come get it next week as is, for $800 so unless you think it's worth that no matter what you find out..." all the better. from one douche to another.

...it was a rough, "need work" CB350 with a title. i had no intention on offering any more than $300 even if everything checked out ok.

no thanks, "bro".

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
funny, kind of a cross between your last little paragraph...

dude bought a "project", wheeled into his garage (which doubled as a "practice space" (or "detroit hipster mating ground") and there it sat. i think he just got nervous in thinking that i'd a) find a deal-breaker problem, or 2) break his "vintage classic goldmine of hipness". basically, i got the impression he was uncomfortable showing it to someone who even appears to know what they're looking at. "well, my bro said he'd come get it next week as is, for $800 so unless you think it's worth that no matter what you find out..." all the better. from one douche to another.

...it was a rough, "need work" CB350 with a title. i had no intention on offering any more than $300 even if everything checked out ok.

no thanks, "bro".

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
There just aren't that many people in the world I'd let put a wrench on my shit.

A stranger shows up thinking he's going to tear something of mine apart and I'd be like "uuuummm fuck no". From there it'd depend on if I were in the mood to do it myself while he watched.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
There just aren't that many people in the world I'd let put a wrench on my shit.

A stranger shows up thinking he's going to tear something of mine apart and I'd be like "uuuummm fuck no". From there it'd depend on if I were in the mood to do it myself while he watched.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
I never buy anything over 300 bucks, so I expect it to be completely borked. I don't bother bringing anything, as long as the bike is mostly complete.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts