Cafe Racer Forum banner

Crawl, Walk, Run or is it Crawl then Run.

7K views 32 replies 12 participants last post by  Mr.Lopez 
#1 ·
Hey guys and gals.

Names Edward and I just purchased a 2015 SR400. This is actually my very first motorcycle ever. I have been working on cars since I was 8 with my grandfather, to the point where we fully restored a 64.5 Mustang. Im currently just cruising around town, getting used to the bike before any real modifications. Been lurking on this site for a few months and decided it was time to join.

Have mechanical experience with cars, but very little with bikes. Almost no fab skills whatsoever. Thanks for looking. Only good pic of bike so far. Motor vehicle Vehicle Spoke Automotive tire Wheel

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome. I like those new SR400s, I which they sold more of them.

So Briefly here is my opinion of what is different about motorcycles from cars:

Mechanical: Most stuff is pretty much the same. If you have worked on disc brakes on a car the same skills are applicable to bikes, except you can see the whole system and it is not assisted. However, unlike cars interchangeability is a bit more difficult since there are not generally industry standards outside of basic stuff like tires. you can't swap wheels like you can on a car for example, every bike has their own axle size and spacing. Modifying is also more interesting since things that apply to cars don't apply to motorcycles due to the dynamic of how motorcycles operate. For example lowering a car usually improves the handling in some way (provided your suspension geometry is good), but on bikes lowering a bike often does not improve handling. When approaching modifying the bike it pays to leverage the existing knowledge base for the bike as well as taking a install, test, revise approach. People that just blow motorcycles apart thinking they are going to ground up customize a bike having never done it before usually fail (not that you would do it with a new bike).

Riding: There are a special set of skills as a new rider you need to develop. These include reading the road, being constantly situationally aware, riding defensively, committing to your decision making, etc... These are skills that don't often get a work out in a car, at least not to the level they do on a bike. Everything you do right now should be helping your skills development. this means no low bars with an uncomfortable riding position that encourages you to not check your mirrors and things like that. Doesn't mean your bike can't get better, just means don't start sacrificing your enjoyment of riding in furtherance of your need to look cool. Focus on the short comings and try to make them better. How do I get better brakes, better suspension, better visibility? these are the questions you should be asking right now. How do I get that sweet deus look should be the furthest thing from your mind.

#4 ·
Thanks for the input guys! Yes I will be keeping all stock for the time being. The idea behind purchasing this bike in particular was something more rider-oriented then mechanically oriented. If that makes any sense. Plus, my grandfather apparently had one in the early 80s, which he might have loved more than my grandmother at that point in time, but who am I to judge right. Thanks for the input. I am actually getting some pretty decent seat time. A couple hours at least every day, just to practice and learn my bike.

#8 ·
That's the best choice I know of for a first bike. Kick start only really forces you to understand at least a little bit about how the thing works. Not to mention in my opinion those are the prettiest bikes yamaha sells new at the moment.
It's not quite as tall as the sr500 I've ridden, but I actually think that is a good thing for someone new to the hobby.
If you maintain that bike and don't run it as its limit everywhere you go, it will carry you for many, many years.
It can probably handle a lot of hard running, but maxxed out on the freeway for several hundred miles will likely wear it out prematurely.
I'd love to have one, though, even after 15 years of riding, the little bikes are still great, relaxing fun.

#9 ·
Hey Guys so I have been riding the bike around for about a week or so, and have noticed that the bike sits a little too high for my comfort. After countless hours of searching online and the owners manuals, I have not found a way to lower it just a tad bit. Im not looking to alter suspension by any means, just trying to adjust it a little to have it perfect. Are there any suggestions that you would recommend?

#14 ·
Suit yourself but Geeto and Tanshanomi gave you the best suggestion, lower the saddle instead of the suspension. That's the only change you can make without adversely altering the bikes handling. New riders get way too hung up on needing to flatfoot both feet when they are stopped, the fact is if you are doing it right the bike remains balanced at all times and at most you should need to touch down one toe when you are stopped.

Meet world champion Motocross and Dakar Rally racer Gaston Rahier:

#15 ·
Hey guys thanks for the input. I guess I'm just going to get used to this height. If both my feet don't NEED to be on the ground then I guess I'm doing this somewhat right. I might buy a seat later on after I get more experience and decide if I really want to change the look of the bike.

#19 ·
If you really like the feeling of sitting on the bike and being flat footed, look for a bike that meets your needs. You can modify your riding fight, but to do it right isn’t cheap. Remember cutting corners or cheaping out can kill you on a bike.
Stay safe and alive!

#20 ·
The only times I have ever been annoyed at not being able to flatfoot a bike are when I am backing it up. It can be a bitch to back into and out of the garage or my gate in Brooklyn if you have to rock back and forth. Even that is not a big deal and on the road, even driving up to a stop sign every block, it isn't an issue at all.

#21 ·
Riding a motorcycle is all about balance, you really don't need to hold the motorcycle upright unless you are stopped in a gusting hurricane force sidewind, or stationary and somebody is intentionally trying to push you over. If you are falling and you need to put a foot down that will never be on both sides at the same time, unless your bike is stuck in a hole and you are trying to pick it up by the handlebars. When your bike is stuck the best place to be is on both pegs or the bike will lack traction.
Then there are those times when putting either foot down is simply impossible:

#22 ·
that image doesn't count....... unless he was riding a velosolex..... back brake, clutch and revs and if needs be shift a bit of mass.......

anyway you can't possibly comment because you get punishment for putting a foot down ;)

#23 ·
Recently been getting much needed seat time and I'm just in awe. This bike is just awesome. Quick throttle, torque, and agility. However, I'm getting my balls busted because my family members (which are sport bike and harley riders) say that my bike doesn't sound much louder than a lawn mower. Are there any quality exhausts that exist for my bike or brands that I can look into? I've searched online but haven't had much luck in the States. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

#27 ·
Your family sounds like a bunch of douchebags. I'm sure they have already said loud pipes save lives to you as well at least once (there is actually no evidence to support it and plenty of studies to support people tend to flinch in the direction of loud noise, it's the chant of the ignorant macho moron). Part of being a responsible motorcyclist is being considerate of your environment and that includes your neighbors. If you want a little more sound there are easy to get it, just don't go crazy. Ask yourself "if I had to leave my house at 5am, should this piss off my community?" Point is, if you want more loud do it because you want it, not because some mouth breathers you are related to are trying to make you live up to their macho stereotype.

That being said, I'm sure any number of slip on cans exist that may fit your bike, in addition to full exhaust systems. Since we are talking about an SR400 here ignore all the "increased power" claims and focus on the sound you want. I find that watching videos of others exhausts on YouTube helps me get a feel for the sound I want and then try to find that system.

#25 ·
Obviously I was just joking around, here's a real one ->
Just don't throw away your original exhaust system, you will want to put it back on once your family grows up ;)

I should think that any aftermarket goodies that were made for the SR500 would bolt right on to an SR400

#30 ·
TBH so long as you didn't warm it up for 20 mins I wouldn't throw shit over the fence if I lived next door..... Did you find you had to shift fire up locations due to lights coming on/curtains twitching in the locations you pushed it to? :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.