Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking for advice on converting my CS3B to an electronic ignition....
I've just had the crank rebuilt, put a new top end in, spent some port matching/cleaning, and did a lot of scrubbing. It runs great but the timing need constant maintenance: every 3rd ride or so. Looking to convert to either a more robust points plate or an electronic ignition. I'm ok with some fabrication and wiring just looking for anyone who has done it and has a good starting point or some helpful tips.
Heres a present photo:
Photo Jun 19, 5 29 05 PM.jpg

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
If you have a 6 volt system, that won't help much in finding a good points replacement. Most ignition systems are 12 volt.

Have you got a 6 volt or a 12 volt charging system?

Are you setting the points with a dial indicator down the plug hole and an analog multimeter? Are you fitting new points, or just filing old ones? Have you got new capacitors? New plug leads and new modern plug caps? EV spark plugs?

I love getting points adjusted, and working great, but they are a complete system and need all components working just right.

Danger, is my business.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you have a 6 volt system, that won't help much in finding a good points replacement. Most ignition systems are 12 volt.

Have you got a 6 volt or a 12 volt charging system?

Are you setting the points with a dial indicator down the plug hole and an analog multimeter? Are you fitting new points, or just filing old ones? Have you got new capacitors? New plug leads and new modern plug caps? EV spark plugs?

I love getting points adjusted, and working great, but they are a complete system and need all components working just right.

Danger, is my business.
Thanks for the reply.

The system is a 12v. I am setting the points with a dial indicator and have used a light and a multimeter. I am fitting old point that are in good shape. Old capacitors, newer plugs and caps and new plugs (not EV).

In recent reads it seems timing is a common problem with these older twin two strokes... is your thought that new points, capacitors, wires and etc would be enough of a long term solution? Or would it be worth it to fork out the cash and retrofit an electronic ignition?

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
Go for a DYNA-S if you can fit it. They are a good product, and I have fitted and used enough of them.

You may need modern coils, leads and spark plug caps as well. Do you want nice looking old electrics or a bike that runs great?

EV or similar high quality spark plugs should be used.

Fit a DYNA-S and forget about ignition issues.

Danger, is my business.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses...

Gonna go with the dyna ignition based on suggestions and price... a couple more questions for you guys...

1) Since the dyna ignition doesn't have a programmable or static advance/retard it will effect either starting/idle or power at higher rpm. Does anyone have experience with this and does it make the bike unmanageable for everyday driving?

2)Does anyone have experience or have tried to mate the mechanical advance to the magnet holder?

Thanks!

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
A DYNA with a bolted "pulser" rotor should work great. DYNA's have an advance built into the chip.

I can't see it's going to be an issue. "Fixed" ignition timing would work just fine, and the DYNA giving a "solid-state" advance in it's unit will be even better.

Dicking around with the old advance unit is neither necessary or advisable when fitting a DYNA.

Danger, is my business.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Well.. here is the finished results. Custom plate and pulser. Timed at 1.8btdc and works awesome. A little lul right off throttle but i think its mostly jetting ( took off airbox and used a uni filter ). The biggest difference is in the higher rpms... spins up much faster and is way smoother!! what a blast!
Thanks for all the advice!
Photo Aug 23-2.jpeg
Sorry for the sideways pic!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts