Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone, I inherited a friend's custom bike that has been dead for more than 2 years. The original donor bike was a 1998 Honda GL100, which was transformed into this in the course of two years:

IMG_1522.JPG

The original engine was bored-up, and modified with counterfeit parts with poor workmanship, so I decided to look for a second donor bike to salvage the engine and other parts, and I found a reasonable GL200 – the big brother of the original – up for grab. I replace most of the parts too, they were in poor condition to begin with, and they were poor knockoffs of non-original aftermarket products. Fast forward six months, its ready for its third reincarnation:

IMG_7927.JPG

Now comes the tuning and tweaking part. Several things have been added since that photo was taken, will post more shots...

Attachments

·
Banned
1,926 Posts
I have big admiration for you guys over in asia. I am good friends with a couple of thai builders and love the work you guys turn out. I think the core of the true café racer scene has shifted to asia as almost every kid has a wicked fast underbone or old commuter that has been massively home modified. I will be importing some parts from south east asia soon for my racebike which has a very special engine from Thailand. You should be able to spot what engine it is straight away!

thumper.jpg

Love the blackboard in the workshop too. good choice of tool. Keep it up!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Love the blackboard in the workshop too. good choice of tool. Keep it up!!!
Thanks @pwalo — we had to make do with what we are allowed, and not allowed to do. Indonesia is unique compared to other South East Asian countries, any motorbike over 250cc is considered a luxury object with ridiculous tax rate. That's why the "big" bikes (500cc or above) is little to be seen around the streets; they either cost too much, or has no titles to be legally driven for daily use.

·
Banned
1,926 Posts
In the UK motorcycles are becoming an expensive luxury item too. The good old days of riding and fixing a cheap mode of transport are almost gone.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts