Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am acquring a mint condition 77 cb550, and I want to do a set of custom pipes for it. The stock header is in great shape, and I want to cut off the pipes before they merge together, and weld up some extensions, but never merging the 4 cylinders together. In the end i would just heat wrap each one individually, but i was curious if this would have any adverse affects on performance? or if it wouldd require any new main jets? Thanks guys

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
yeah, you will most likely need to rejet the bike.

'72 cb750
'75 cb750
'76cb750
'82 cx500 (but mine is cool, i swear. Why don't you believe me?)

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
first off it you are getting a "mint cb550" with stock pipes and you cut the mufflers off the stock pipes...I will personally come to your house and beat you with a claw hammer. I'm only half kidding. If you have really good original pipes you could sell them and buy two new sets of mac.

If your pipes are not the stock 4 into 1 (F model) or 4 into 4 (K model) then the mufflers should slip off. If they aftermarket then hack away (unless you have an RC, OMT, or Yosh pipe). I wouldn't automatically assume the pipes you have on your bike are junk to start with. If they are 4 into 2s with what look like car turnouts on the end then by all means destroy those bitches.

If you cut the headers too short you run the risk of burning an exhaust valve (heat wrap should help slightly to avid this since its function is to speed up exhaust gases by allowing them to retain heat.

probably be fine just going one jet size up.

I had a muffler shop bend me a custom set of 550 drag pipes in a super long length and it cost me $60 all said and done before chrome. I have also in the past used cb750 drag pipes on my 550.

Edited by - geeto67 on Feb 08 2008 5:26:35 PM

1 - 5 of 5 Posts