1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
Your metal work looks O.K, but you need to put more effort into design.

The BMW seat looks all wrong, The CX one should sit lower, follow the lines of the seat frame or subframe pressings. A big gap under a café style seat is not really very good to look at.

Danger, is my business.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Witworth,
All of these sample pics were designed how the customers requested them and were all completed through emails, pictures,dimensions etc...since they live in different parts of the world.
Design is a funny thing, as long as the person installing it on there bike is happy and gets what they want, then its a successful design. I may do them different as well if it was for my personal bikes but, to each his own.

Your metal work looks O.K, but you need to put more effort into design.

The BMW seat looks all wrong, The CX one should sit lower, follow the lines of the seat frame or subframe pressings. A big gap under a café style seat is not really very good to look at.

Danger, is my business.

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
"All of these sample pics were designed how the customers requested them and were all completed through emails, pictures,dimensions etc..."

That explains it. Do your own designs.

Danger, is my business.

·
Registered
23,302 Posts
Hi Witworth,
as long as the person installing it on there bike is happy and gets what they want, then its a successful design.
Clearly you have never worked as a design professional, I'm pretty sure every graphic designer in the history of mankind will disagree with your logic.

I love how you phrase it like you are doing us a favor by offering us your services. If you are gonna shill be a man and shill, own it that you are in a business. Also don't just post pictures write ad copy that has a narrative or at least provides us some entertainment. because your pics alone aren't cutting it.

Now, can we see some of the stuff you did for yourself, since you express no creative ownership of the work you do for your customers and it is obvious your customers are blind people that like owning motorcycles but don't actually ride them. Or to put it another way, if you know your customers work is crap, why not lead with your best stuff - unless your customer work is your best stuff.

Also way to bury the lead on your tank parts description. having your tanks listed as $100 price and then having this: "The listed price acts as a down payment to save your projects spot in line. Tank designs start from $500.00 and go up from there." in the thrid paragraph as the description strikes me as deceptive. I am not saying you are trying to be, just that it reads that way.

What's your calling card. Seriously, what's the best motorcycle project you have done. pic and description.

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
This is a good clue to a rip off process in action:

"Tank designs start from $500.00 and go up from there." Not with my wallet, sonny. Mail order metalwork? If the design ends up looking like crap, well you can blame the customer who commissioned the work, or most likely ask for more cash "to finish it".

Most guys who can fab well can design things well, maybe you are an exception to that rule.

Danger, is my business.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Only the conceited self centered ones. I have been in the product and design world for 15years...and I've worked for a few. At the end of the day your designing to please someone else, not yourself. It either Marketing, sales, general public or a CEO.
If you ordered a steak rare and got it well done because the cook thought you should have it that way, would you be happy? Customers usually want to put there input into the design, that is what makes it there own..

Clearly you have never worked as a design professional, I'm pretty sure every graphic designer in the history of mankind will disagree with your logic.

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
You should revise your free advertising strategy.

On this blog, plenty of guys will tell that your work is overpriced and are B-grade designs.

Quite the contrary, a good designer crafts work to satisfy their own aesthetics and design priorities, not just if it sells. I think you are confusing working and getting paid, with being a designer and artisan.

Most people "adding to a design to make it their own" , just makes things worse. It's compounded stupidity, ineptitude and ego, all rolled into metal.

Danger, is my business.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I know the owner of the red CB650, and while he has fallen into many of the "traps" of the fashion bikes, I haven't given up on him, yet. I will say that I was impressed by the quality of the seat. It is solid, and glass straight.

Now, if I can get him to put some fenders on it..... But he has another front end that he's gonna install first. He has been riding it, and he isn't finished with it. I hope to be rebuilding his shocks, next week when I'm home.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow you 2 guys are a piece of work..

1.Yes I do this as a side business.
2.Yes I have lots of happy customers in the U.S and Overseas.
3.What isn't mail order these days?
4.Yes I require a deposit for projects like most others.
5.Yes prices are agreed upon by both parties before I start on a project.

Thanks for the warm welcome to the forum guys. its been nice:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks 8ball. I'm glad your friend liked the seat. He was great to work with and kind enough to send me some pics.

I know the owner of the red CB650, and while he has fallen into many of the "traps" of the fashion bikes, I haven't given up on him, yet. I will say that I was impressed by the quality of the seat. It is solid, and glass straight.

Now, if I can get him to put some fenders on it..... But he has another front end that he's gonna install first. He has been riding it, and he isn't finished with it. I hope to be rebuilding his shocks, next week when I'm home.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
also... If you are serious about selling here as a welcomed supplier , you should contact ffarl and sign up as a supporting vendor. just 'sayin

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Dean,
Thanks for the info. Just joined today and didn't realize I needed to contact someone before hand.

also... If you are serious about selling here as a welcomed supplier , you should contact ffarl and sign up as a supporting vendor. just 'sayin

·
Registered
10,458 Posts
You didn't do anything before spamming the board and trying to sell stuff.
zero research past the google search for a cafe racer forum.

really, what have you built for you?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Jaguar,
That wasn't my intentions. but, I clearly offended some people here.
My apologies.

You didn't do anything before spamming the board and trying to sell stuff.
zero research past the google search for a cafe racer forum.

really, what have you built for you?

·
Registered
23,302 Posts
Only the conceited self centered ones. I have been in the product and design world for 15years...and I've worked for a few. At the end of the day your designing to please someone else, not yourself. It either Marketing, sales, general public or a CEO.
If you ordered a steak rare and got it well done because the cook thought you should have it that way, would you be happy? Customers usually want to put there input into the design, that is what makes it there own..
Actually all the ones. When you let the customer control creativity you end up with webpages that look like a 15 year old's first web page on geocities in 1999, or logos that defy standards for gaudy. As the design professional it is your job to steer the wants and desires of the customer away from the ugly. The downside to this is that you don't get to use the excuse that if something is ugly it's the customer's fault and who cares so long as they are happy.

regarding this: If you ordered a steak rare and got it well done because the cook thought you should have it that way, would you be happy?

that's the option that the cook gives me and it is one dictated by historical precedent than anything else - to have it rare or well done. I don't go in the kitchen and tell him what spices to use or what method to cook it by, I rely on his judgement to do that. And I go to that restaurant for his interpretation of a rare steak. so your argument falls flat there.

you probably should have led with this: "I have been in the product and design world for 15years". You know actually selling your services, experience helps promote confidence.

When your customers are ignorant, it's easy for them to be happy. A happy customer by itself is not necessarily a measure of one's knowledge. As others have pointed out, it appears the quality of the actual fabrication isn't in issue - but the other factors that make a good part (like knowledge of what makes something functionally a good racing part) are coming up short.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I hate the steak argument. I have been to top shelf restaurants in the us and oversees where you don't get an option on temperature or sides. You get it the way the chef prepares it. If its good...you come back and invite your friends, if it's bad you never go back. The success of the business relays on the chef masters taste. Shouldn't it be the same way for a master craftsmen? You build something that YOU can be proud to slap your name on. With that said, I have also been a designer for years and have a degree in marketing and advertising as well as visual design and I will admit it is a very difficult at times to convince a customer they are wrong and often compromises need to be made, but at the end of the day I was not going to create something I was ashamed to put my name on. I'm not going to tell you how to run your business but I would never spend 500 plus on anything you have built based on the photos you just showed me. Maybe your skills are beyond that, but you haven't represented yourself very well thus far.

I agree with TC though, some of the stuff you have done seems structurally strong and well built. The design just suffers and maybe you shouldn't use those projects as your sell point. At least on this site. DTT may be a different story.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts