Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For Sale 1973 Yamaha XS650 Twin , This was a 2 year Project Build , The Engine is Fresh and dialed in. Custom House of Colors (Factory Yamaha Red) Very Nice Paint work.

Electric Start , New Rubber , Cafe Handle Bars , Custom Exhaust , Many hours of Detail. The Bike has a Slick look and Turns Heads .

selling Because starting New Project , Located in Northwest Suburbs of Chicago $5900 OBO 847-366-1155 Text or Cell ask for Mitch DSC03746.JPG DSC03747.JPG
DSC03746.JPG DSC03747.JPG

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
It's not like it was ever meant to be ridden......

...but at least it does have rear sets, and intact airbox and fenders

·
Registered
23,302 Posts
Let's not be too hard on the guy, I mean there isn't a lot of work out there for blind professional motorcycle designers and I think its great that he chose to give one some work.

Kidding aside, I see a lot of nice pieces on there like the 2-1, the rear shocks, and the rear sets.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What makes this bike worth $5900 ?
Lots of guys start projects but never finish them , always will find something about a bike to not like.
Only a handful of builders that can honestly tear a engine open and rebuild it from top to bottom ,
Do all there paint work and prep, polish the metals. And at the end have something different, clean and Fresh that runs, starts
And drives Normal? Most guys just hack away? Thanks for the input

·
Registered
10,458 Posts
Lots of guys start projects but never finish them , always will find something about a bike to not like.
Only a handful of builders that can honestly tear a engine open and rebuild it from top to bottom ,
Do all there paint work and prep, polish the metals. And at the end have something different, clean and Fresh that runs, starts

This bike is no different then the millions of other copy cat bandwagon jumper "builders"

·
Registered
23,302 Posts

I think the point TCed was trying to make is that your ad doesn't in the slightest justify the high asking price with details and fleshing it out with details might do that. Even this above response is so full of bullshit I can't believe you can leave your house without your ego getting hung up in the door.

·
Registered
23,302 Posts
Let's Dissect this shall we?

For Sale 1973 Yamaha XS650 Twin ,
Good so far you got the year make and model of the bike right

This was a 2 year Project Build
Doesn't sound like a long time unless you were working on this like a job (40 hrs a week). What was done in those two years?

The Engine is Fresh and dialed in
How fresh? Did you do bottom end or was it just rings and top? How many miles since rebuild? break in process? Oil used? compression in each cylinder

Custom House of Colors (Factory Yamaha Red)
Candy? (originals were candy), Two stage or three? Enamel or Poly? wet sanded? who sprayed it? High temp additive on the engine covers?

Very Nice Paint work.
Unnecessary opinion. I can tell you are proud of it but let the paint speak for itself by taking real pictures of it in sunlight. Actually saying this makes me thing you are hiding something.

Electric Start
Bike came with this stock, it's not something you added and therefore no real value ad.

New Rubber
Tires only or did you replace all rubber bits? this is one area where slang can hurt you.

Cafe Handle Bars
No such thing. In fact this makes you sound like you don't know what you are talking about. These are a set of clubman bars and are they a brand anybody has heard of or a $15 set off ebay?

Custom Exhaust ,
Whose brand? what materials? 2-1?

Many hours of Detail.
Detail is vague. To me detail sounds like you spent more time cleaning stuff rather than riding or doing actual work. If you replaced all the hardware then say so, if you had parts chromed or replated then say so. I have spend many hours of "detail" on my 20 year old jeep wrangler but that doesn't make it anything more than a rusty dented off roader.

The Bike has a Slick look and Turns Heads .
You know how people hate used car salesman for how they can convey really usless information in a meaningful way? don't be that guy.

selling Because starting New Project ,
What kind of project. If it is awesome then other gearheads will relate. Vague sounds desperate.

Located in Northwest Suburbs of Chicago
Lead with this info. In fact it should be in the heading. Speaking of the heading "professionally designed", really? Give me a fucking break. If it was so professional then you apparently forgot to mention who the professional was. This just makes you sound like another "Graphic designer" who has no business dicking with bikes.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I logged in just to like that post Geet.

·
Registered
23,302 Posts
looks like any kind of right handed turn that compresses those rear shockers will turn that wrapped custom exhaust into a asphalt feeler!!!
It looks like a mac copy of an old flat track design (one of the other reasons not giving detail irks me - this could be an awesome hand bent system or the cheap as chips mac system - but for $5K+ it better not be the cheapo mac system) which means only turning left matters. With any mac pipe right hand turns are usually an issue. Still I don't think it sits that much lower than a stock system.

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
So, we get 4 similar photos of the right side. Given that there is much I don't like with that view, I wonder what is hateful on the left side. Pipe wrap is a cheap out for crappy welds or rust on a crappy system. The Harley take off muffler is cheap. The tires are cheap. The clubman bars are cheap. The headlight mounts are too long too high and cheap. The stock front brake line is cheap. The stock caliper in the stock location is cheap. The lack of gauges is cheap. So, other than the paint, which I don't like, everything that isn't stock is cheap, exempting perhaps the rearsets and shocks ( not enough info which leads me to guess those might be cheap, too.

So, why is this being offered for $5900 instead of $1900?

I think I am going to ask $2995 for this:
08-25-08_1554.jpg

·
Registered
119 Posts
This sounds like the guy that walked into our shop recently wanting to sell a bone stock CB400A with a leaky fork seal and been dropped on its side once, scuffing half the paint on one side for $3,000. Guy was on crack.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
But a CB400A is worth more because you don't have to fiddle with the clutch, and you only have to remember which of the two gears you are in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Big form Chief , Helping a buddy post this bike, he is a service manger at a Dealership and wanted to sell one of his Toys. Would easily talk
To someone if interested and would be fair on his price. He did not want to post and break down every expense with bike or deal with nit pickers.
Generally , people who buy nice used bikes buy them because they personally like the bike and feel the price is fair for what they want ?

As for the Add poster, He grew up in a Yamaha, Suzuki , Kawasaki dealership founded in 1966 and still is a Used bike Salesman not "car" salesmen .
Owns a 2014 dealer Top 100 dealership and has bought and sold over 10,000 Motorsports and try's to let his Employees have some fun While working
In the Industry .

·
Registered
23,302 Posts
He did not want to post and break down every expense with bike or deal with nit pickers.
Generally , people who buy nice used bikes buy them because they personally like the bike and feel the price is fair for what they want ?
In the old days, print ads charged by the letter and there was a character limit. So writing a brief but interesting ad was a skill. There usually were also no pictures and you were limited to your local market.

However the the internet is now a global market, there are no restrictions on length of description and photographs, and your average buyer is going to be a little more savvy than they used to be, thanks to easily accessible model specific forums. As a seller, you have more competition and fewer people who want to interact personally for details. Look through any place that archives sold items (like ebay) and the pattern is obvious: good pictures and long descriptions sell. This concept of "weeding out" a certain type of time waster are invalid because in doing that you weed out potential customers. It's better to flood them with info and the really interested will read it all, the time wasters will not.

Based on the info posted NOBODY is going to think that price is remotely close to fair. So your argument about them feeling the price is fair is moot because you haven't given potential buyers enough to draw conclusions about price. All they see is a seller who can't be bothered to write good info about a bike he is selling.

If if he is really serious about selling he should sit down and write one really long descriptive ad that he then cuts and pastes to as many forums as he feels like advertising it on. Or he can go back to advertising in print ads and stick it in his showroom.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
If the builder has some special skill set in the motorcycle world that could impact the price some also.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts