Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey yall -

So the twat I got the Ducati from decided it would be really cool to make his own "custom" seat and hence also thought it would really cool to cut the seat loop out of the frame. I knew this before I got it, but am only now starting to deal with it.

In the attached pics you can see my bike with the seat it had, the naked frame, a mock with a different tank, glass seat, and fenders, and then a few stock bikes.

The problem I see is that the proposed seating position is too far forward...it can come back a litte ways, but still the back of the seat is forward or in line with the rear shocks. I know I need to at minimum weld a bar across to bridge the two ends, but do you guys think I need to extend the existing frame ends? I'm 165 lbs, its a glass seat...don't really need it snapping on me at 80 mph. (In reality it would probably crack before that, but still). Also note, in the other Scrambler photo the seating position is in front of the rear shock, but its setup as a Scrambler, not a "racer".

Take a look and lemme know what you guys think. It's so fun fixing other boneheads "custom" projects!

P.S. that tank is just a mock up..looking for a long Vic Camp style if anyone has one for cheap? :) :)

Cheers -
AK

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Make a new frame loop & weld it on. That looks too far forward to me, but not by too much.

If you're getting rid of that (sexy) tank, post it for sale here first.

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
There's nothing wrong with moving the seat forward. Most vintage bikes have too much weight on the rear tire in the "normal" seating position. Just weld a tube between the upper shock mounts to brace the rear end, mount he seat better, and ride it.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here's a better pic of the frame and support.

You think the weld should go at the end of where the frame was cut, or between the rear shocks?

Judey - which one are you referring to...the red or the black?

Cheers,
AK

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I can't see any of the pics because I'm at work and they block a whole bunch of things... But from what I gather it's missing the rear section of the frame behind the shocks?

I have the rear section of a 160 Monza Jr frame that might be good for a donor. I'm pretty sure it'd be the same width as your frame but it doesn't have the slight kick up in back like the 250 frame does, so you'd lose a little rear suspension travel.. maybe... and it might also make installing a stock fender tricky. If you're going with longer than stock shocks (say, 310mm) the kick up will be a non-issue and if you aren't running a rear fender it's a non-issue too...

Lemme know if you're interested...

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Here's the tail I was talking about.

I think it might be slightly tweaked though. There seems to be a slight bend in the left side of it, right behind the shock mount. Im guessing it'd be a pretty easy fix or even leave it as is.

I also tried to get a shot of a250 frame vs a 160 frame so you caould see th eslight upturn I was talking about. Not sure you'll be able to see it in this shot but the 250 frame in the foreground turns up right at the seam in the fender, while the 160 in the background is totally flat.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey Desmo - thanks for the pics. I think I've got a good plan to put a weld across it just behind the rear shocks.

Since I know you're the resident Ducati expert - any idea on where to get one of these purdy seats? :)

Cheers,
AK

1 - 15 of 15 Posts