Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

Hope some could help me I'm about swap the forks on my CX500 with the forks from a ZX400L these are USD forks and will be keeping the front wheel for now.
I take it it's not a straight swap?
Would I need to get the stem pressed out from the CX500?
What bearing would I need and does anyone know where the best place in Surrey is to get bearing from?

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
If you're asking these questions, this job is probably way above your head.

The universal recommendation you're going to get here is to rebuild the CX500 forks, use a slightly heavier oil, maybe some progressive springs, and a good fork brace. That's really all the bike probably needs. Any benefits provided from a USD setup will be lost on a vintage bike (the frame can't handle the new forces introduced).

·
Registered
6,631 Posts
Wow, I never seen a frame cut up like that before. I'm not sure I am even seeing that right, is that a steering head with nothing attached to it?
You just completely destroyed that ZX alloy perimeter frame and you want to put the front end off that bike onto a steel single backbone tube frame bike that is somewhere between marginal and non-existent by comparison. Hopefully it was destroyed to begin with. I bet you are building a bike that will handle like it has a rubber hinge in the middle.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts