Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Your best motor bike magazine and why? One consistantly good at what it does..lets take a head count..

Years back in my car building life,HOT ROD and HOT RODDING were kings of bolt-on bits for power and looks,catering to those thru the 70's and early 80's, with seamingly unlimited cash flow, while pushing and promoting their advertizers donated goodies.. then there was CARCRAFT..they/it being a more grass roots,do it yourself magazine,guiding and teaching, using whats available to the common man with out going to Cali. for the latest and greatest..
I'm more of a CARCRAFT guy
Recommend a good title and why.. Thanks

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
I like motorcycle classics-- that may not be the exact name - the one published here in the USA. Also like motorcycle consumer news.

Not much interest in new bikes so don't get the big name mags, though I do miss reading Peter egan's column.

·
Registered
10,489 Posts
Cafe Racer
Great mag, the editor really has his finger up the ass of the hobby and knows what people want to read.
Amazing pictures, real deep tech articles, actuate history and lots of just great ideas

But really the USA Classic motorcycle mag is good. There are two from the UK that I find to be better, but twice the price.

Practical bike? Not really "vintage" but really interesting. They mostly deal with bikes that are just old right now.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Now if Playboy had a motorcycle section - Hot babes and hot bikes..

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Lately, I've been impressed with Dave Edwards's & Barnett's new Bikecraft project. But they're just getting started, so I'll hold off final judgement to see how they do in the long term.

Over the years, the one I've enjoyed the most, the longest, is Britain's Classic [&] Motorcycle Mechanics.

<center>
</center>

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Cycle Guide R.I.P. was the best US mag back in the day without a doubt. Any of the British magazines are good including PB, Classic Racer, Classic M/C Maniacs and Classic Bike. That reminds me, it's time to sell my complete collection of Classic bike all the way back to the first one published.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Teazer

Cycle Guide R.I.P. was the best US mag back in the day without a doubt.
I always thought so, too. I liked the fact that they put nearly every bike on a dyno themselves, and published real results. They also rarely put ads on the same pages as their road tests...which might have been part of their undoing!

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Teazer

Cycle Guide R.I.P. was the best US mag back in the day without a doubt.
I always thought so, too. I liked the fact that they put nearly every bike on a dyno themselves, and published real results. They also rarely put ads on the same pages as their road tests...which might have been part of their undoing!

·
Official Site Vendor
4,219 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Tanshanomi

Lately, I've been impressed with Dave Edwards's & Barnett's new Bikecraft project. But they're just getting started, so I'll hold off final judgement to see how they do in the long term.

Over the years, the one I've enjoyed the most, the longest, is Britain's Classic [&] Motorcycle Mechanics.

<center>
</center>
i have MCM dating back to mid 70's when i 1st started buying it, i very rarely buy it now because its full of GSXR's and the like, which i will never consider to be 'classics' .

·
Official Site Vendor
4,219 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Tanshanomi

<center>
</center>
i have MCM dating back to mid 70's when i 1st started buying it, i very rarely buy it now because its full of GSXR's and the like, which i will never consider to be 'classics' .

·
Registered
585 Posts
It's got to be Motor Cycle News http://www.motorcyclenews.com/
It's been going forever, with good reason and it's relatively cheap (about $3). It's more of a newspaper and it comes out every week covering all the motorcycle sport of the previous weekend. It employs good down to earth journalists and has a good following here in the UK.
For me it's one of those main stays in life that's always there like a long running TV show or favourite football team, you might drop it for a couple of years and then come back to it and it feels like you've never been away.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts