Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please bear with me as I am really new to this...

I have a 1968 Honda CL350 and took off the original cylinder head cover gasket, which appeared to be formed over the cam chain to prevent oil from leaking up into the cylinder head cover space.

While looking at replacement gaskets online, I noticed that none of the cylinder head cover gaskets are made to cover the cam chain - they just have a space cut to fit around it (not over it like on the original gasket). Both my book and shop manual for the bike don't mention any cylinder head cover gasket at all (nor do they picture them in engine disassembly photos).

I have a gasket kit at home to make my own, didn't know the consequences of letting oil possibly splash up from the cam chain, so I thought I'd ask one of you knowledgeable motorcycle people on here.

This is just a quick fix for my bike so I can ride it before it gets too cold. Please help!

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
are you talking about the cam box cover? with the gasket that has the breather doodad in it? the very top cover on the motor? you know there is oil all of the way to the top of the motor right? or are you talking about the gasket that goes between the cyl head and the cambox? if you dont use the one that has the breather doodad, it will allow alot of oil to splash around up there and go into the breather tube. youll loose a bunch of oil that way.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i was speaking of the gasket right below the cam box cover. the one with the breahter hose and whatnot. the first thing you see when you take the cover off at the top of the eingine... where the top of the cam chain is.

know of the best place to buy a new gasket for it? since the gasket was formed to fit raised over the cam chain? i wish i could have reused it, but it was basically glued on originally.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
id guess you can order one from a honda dealer. not sure which gasket sets include them, and which dont. but the little scoop thing does need to be there.

jc

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
my schematic shows it as 3 seperate pieces actually.
jc

1 - 6 of 6 Posts