Cafe Racer Forum banner

21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
10,458 Posts
I am a huge fan of the DSG Manual transmission, but I don't see the benefit out weighing the additional weight for bikes.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Hmmm. Obviously many of you have given this far more thought than have I. So, what is the end game? Is it to offer the utmost opportunity for maximum speed, without the previously required skills? Is that where this comes from? Is this the natural progression in a quest for maximum performance? Me thinks not.

Isn't it to appeal to or rather create a market? Honda has done this before. I think using it in the NC700 was to attract scooter riders into the realm of the full-on motorcycle. In the Interceptor, more of a performance luxury for the gentleman's express crowd.

I have know qualms with it. Different strokes. I think shifting will continue to be the larger part of motorcycle transmissions, but the DCT is here to stay.

·
Registered
10,458 Posts
Hmmm. Obviously many of you have given this far more thought than have I. So, what is the end game? Is it to offer the utmost opportunity for maximum speed, without the previously required skills? Is that where this comes from? Is this the natural progression in a quest for maximum performance? Me thinks not.
How does it have any other use then to extract the utmost of performance?
I still fail to see how a DSG allows anyone to go faster then their normal skills would allow.

·
Registered
5,703 Posts

Isn't it to appeal to or rather create a market? Honda has done this before. I think using it in the NC700 was to attract scooter riders into the realm of the full-on motorcycle. In the Interceptor, more of a performance luxury for the gentleman's express crowd.

I have know qualms with it. Different strokes. I think shifting will continue to be the larger part of motorcycle transmissions, but the DCT is here to stay.
Pretty sure that things like the popularity of automatic transmissions stem from the fact that average people are inherently lazy and don't have a clue about mechanical things.

·
Registered
264 Posts
The first car I learned to drive had a manual transmission. The reason? Because my dad, a car racing nut and aircraft mechanic believed that that was the best
way to learn to drive. According to him if your car has and automatic you're just stopping, going & steering and that's not driving. Without going into a long
dissertation I applied the same logic when I taught all three of my kids to drive. Part of my logic was that if you're having to use both hands and feet to operate
the vehicle then there is less chance that you are doing something other than focusing on the driving.

For me the same applies with motorcycles. Having to use both hands and feet requires more focus on operating the bike. It's not foolproof though, nothing is.

DCT is here to stay, like it or not. I prefer the feel of the clutch lever, it seems natural I guess because we oldtimers never had any other options save the few
sorry attempts of a few models in the seventies with automatics.

I don't have any plans to purchase a motorcycle with DCT. But...if the arthritis in my hands continues to progress I'll ride the DCT before I quit riding.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
How does it have any other use then to extract the utmost of performance?
I still fail to see how a DSG allows anyone to go faster then their normal skills would allow.
It is easier to ride if there is no clutch lever or shifter. There is just less to do.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Pretty sure that things like the popularity of automatic transmissions stem from the fact that average people are inherently lazy and don't have a clue about mechanical things.
YES! There ya go. That's another market. The idea is always to put more asses in the seats. Follow the money.

·
Registered
10,458 Posts
But a DSG is not an automatic.......
Even if it was, are all the Drag Week Racers lazy in their 6 second autos?

·
Registered
23,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
A DSG is an automatic. The shifts can be made automatically which is the requirement of being an automatic. I get that you want to distance yourself from the stigma that comes with conventional automatics and that's fair but you can't do that by just saying it is not what it really is. Is it how automatic transmissions should have always been made? yes. Is it light years better than a conventional torque converter automatic? yup. But it is still an automatic - you can still put it in D and let it shift for you.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
But how does that translate to the rider going faster?
I'm not saying that it does. It MIGHT, less info to process,etc. I say the whole concept was developed mostly to bring in more new riders. Seems natural to go from a 400-650cc scooter to a 700cc scooter-like motorcycle.

·
Registered
5,703 Posts

Show me a photo of a famous drag racer that looks like they eat well and work out regularly :rolleyes:

Then show me a photo of a famous fat, lazy looking Trials rider:

·
Registered
23,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Show me a photo of a famous drag racer that looks like they eat well and work out regularly :rolleyes:

12_0508_nedra_rocket_201_002_800.jpg

14_1211_rickey_gadson_h2_03.jpg

rpm_u_sampey_jv_800x450.jpg

don't be an ass, it is only after they retire and become team owners that they start to pack on the pounds.

although let's be honest, at 74 the Snake looks pretty damn good:
ra08A_2169-1100x749.jpg

·
Registered
5,703 Posts
You only met half the challenge, I'm waiting to see the famous fat lazy trials rider ;)
Not trying to be an ass hat about it, we all have our heroes and can only speak from personal experience and observation. Mine has been that people into racing at a drag strip generally look like they are made of money, eat at Pickle Barrel and ask for a carry out at the beer store. Their biggest physical challenge appears to be the need to squeeze into a roll cage. (motorcycle drag racers excepted, you posted almost exclusively motorcycle drag racers) My intent was only to respond to Jags comment "are all the Drag Week Racers lazy in their 6 second autos?" and that kinda struck me as funny. "6 second autos" also implies we were talking about car type dragsters.

·
Registered
23,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I bet the first thing you do is reach for the clutch ;)
want to hear something sad: my left foot does that with automatic cars. Anybody that has ever ridden with me in a rental call always ends up asking "what's that thumping sound". It's me hitting the dead pedal. Wanna hear something double sad? the '67 GTO is my only automatic car (TH400 with a manual valve body and a dual gate shifter).

21 - 40 of 73 Posts