Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got this out of my basement & did some real work on it.

Sloppy welding on my steering damper (looked much better before I had to cut it off & reweld it in better position):

... and my not quite complete rearsets (slightly better welding job):

·
Registered
278 Posts
Dude, those handlebars are awesome. Know where I can get me some of those?

Great job on the minimalist thing, too - I usually just hide the battery box and electrical system, but you seem to have managed to hide the whole goddamned engine.

A

·
Registered
278 Posts
Dude, those handlebars are awesome. Know where I can get me some of those?

Great job on the minimalist thing, too - I usually just hide the battery box and electrical system, but you seem to have managed to hide the whole goddamned engine.

A

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Ground clearance is going to be limited with that big wooden box under the bike. I mean...sure it looks cool...but the bike won't corner for shit. I would have gone for a wooden gas tank too.

BTW..nice sano job on the rear sets, very clean.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, smart guys - Engine installed (thanks for the help, catboy). Wiring next. I already have rebiult carbs ready to go on.

Yes, the horn has to go. I want to keep it because cagers are morons, but I don't like it in that spot. Perhaps it should get painted black so it's not so obvious.

Wooden gas tank... Funny. That's my ghetto race stand - no side or center stand at this point. Don't quite know what I'm going to do in tht department yet. Thanks for the compliment on my rearsets.

BTW... Building this thing from parts, bought one at a time (don't ask). It's not something I took apart & am rebuilding. You're looking at parts from about 15 different motorcycles.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Looks good Judy.

Could you post a pic of the rearset on the other side? I want to change mine around on my CL350 race bike.

Will your brake pedal fold up, ala the old Ducatis, so that you can use the kickstarter?

Is that bike a CL or CB, 350 or 360?

Thanks,
Jack

·
Registered
687 Posts
someone gave me a huge obnoxious red horn for my bike that is loud as shit and ugly to match, i'm thinking of mounting it under the hump in the seat.

...connoisseur of slack...

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got my carbs on, and most of the wiring taken care of... enough for a test firing! Started right up & seemed to run really well, but only for a minute or two. Don't have my gas tank mounted yet.

Jack, The kicker clears the brake pedal (or will with a very slight bend to the pedal). I think it only needs to get out of the way by less than1/8 in. Seems there are 2 different types of kickers that came on these bikes. If you look closely, mine pivots at the bottom like on a cb360. I took a picture of the other side, but the light was bad, looking out of my dark garage. I'll try again when I move the bike.

Funny thing, actually: I put a battery in, and when I jumped the poles on the solenoid to start it, there was a really loud bang & all the caps got blown out of the battery, then nothing. I collected them up, replaced them & put the battery back into the bike I'd borrowed it from - started & ran fine. Put it back into my project, jumped the solenoid poles and it started right up, a couple times. Ever happen to anyone? (yes, I know I'm lucky I didn't get my face devoured by acid)

Edited by - judeyramone on Aug 07 2007 10:53:45 PM

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It does indeed need that brake. Not in the budget, yet.

Racing is also not in the budget. Last kid is finished with daycare in 2yrs, and I have enough parts from this project to put together a race bike. Next project. I wish I lived out east so I could race with you guys.

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
you got mosport, gratten, gingerman, and nelson ledges!

bikes looking sharp! what bike are those pegs and bracket off?

tex

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Spent about 3 hrs in the barn/cellar tonight. Got my handlebar switches all sorted out & wiring just about finished. New cables & a seat, and I'm alarmingly close to a test ride. I'm very excited. Try & post new pics tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wiring all done:

Nice view of my clubmans for Geeto:

Photo of shift side for Jack (still needs some work):

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Been slowed down by this:

... But today (with much moral support from catboy), I managed to finish my rearsets. Brake pedal will need some more tweaking.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've managed to exorcise all the demons from my rearsets, and also a nagging carb problem (clogged slow jet), so the motor & foot controls all functioning perfectly. Got all new cables installed Mon afternoon. Hopped on, started her up, pulled in the clutch, shifted into gear... and the thing lurches out the garage door & stalls out (left a nice black stripe on my garage floor). Pulled the clutch apart last night (with moral support from catboy), cleaned up all the plates & now it works fine - but I'm waiting for a new gasket to reinstall the cover. Gonna be another week. Damn! I was so looking forward to a test ride.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
use clear 3M RTV! how can you wait for a gasket?! i'm the king of impatience when i'm that close to something.

'72 cb750
'76 cb550
'76 cb750

1 - 20 of 63 Posts