Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a video of Jared Barnes on his 2008 yamaha r6 he rides for US129photos.com racing team

I'm not the guy who gets all stoked up about Deals Gap, and every one and their brother has a deals gap video on youtube but I thought the camera work on this one was pretty cool, and I could watch that Ohlins front end work all day :)

·
Official Site Vendor
4,219 Posts
ive heard a lot of talk about deals gap, but what exactly is it and where is it?

·
Official Site Vendor
4,219 Posts
ive heard a lot of talk about deals gap, but what exactly is it and where is it?

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
It's a winding mountain road in the Appalachian mountains where lots of riders go to crash their bikes.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
It's a winding mountain road in the Appalachian mountains where lots of riders go to crash their bikes.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Man, there are a lot of trees to hit when you fall down there...

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Man, there are a lot of trees to hit when you fall down there...

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:Originally posted by ukTony

Affectionatly known as "Tail of the Dragon" or "318 turns in 11" miles it is a road in the middle of fucking nowhere that has no feeder roads, lots of jackasses, an overwhelming number of ticket happy cops, and the occasional semi-truck that got lost on the wrong back road.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deals_Gap

Killboy does a lot of photos from the gap:
http://www.killboy.com/

Here is your fellow countryman Rick Brett blowing up a triple on the gap while keeping up with an aprilla:

·
Registered
23,303 Posts

Affectionatly known as "Tail of the Dragon" or "318 turns in 11" miles it is a road in the middle of fucking nowhere that has no feeder roads, lots of jackasses, an overwhelming number of ticket happy cops, and the occasional semi-truck that got lost on the wrong back road.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deals_Gap

Killboy does a lot of photos from the gap:
http://www.killboy.com/

Here is your fellow countryman Rick Brett blowing up a triple on the gap while keeping up with an aprilla:

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah at one point it was probably a very fun road but now everybody knows about it and car clubs as well as motorcycle riders love to go there. A guy I used to ride with went there and there was a Miata owners club there the entire weekend. Talk about a wasted trip :-/

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah at one point it was probably a very fun road but now everybody knows about it and car clubs as well as motorcycle riders love to go there. A guy I used to ride with went there and there was a Miata owners club there the entire weekend. Talk about a wasted trip :-/

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Like many Tn roads, the Dragon is lavishly blessed with the taxer payers asphalt and paving crews.

It has many technically correct curves with respect to banking and radii while others show concessions to the stubborn mountains thru which it was carved.

Has only recently become under fire by law enforcement and for years has been the place for unbridled speed orgies.

I've enjoyed many, of the two and four wheeled variety. There are many on this planet that are indeed insane and many of them ceased being so on the Dragon.

The death and injury count climbed to the point as to be sanctioned resulting in the loss of federal road money, so it's a different gig now.

F you missed it...... tough, I doubt it will ever be the same.

There are MANY similar roads throughout the state and my shop is on a very fast one that as of now, seems to be free of constables willing to make high speed chase.

Our roads here are why the very under geared Land Of UK pushrod bikes couldn't hold up.

55mph gearing is miserable on 100mph roads.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Like many Tn roads, the Dragon is lavishly blessed with the taxer payers asphalt and paving crews.

It has many technically correct curves with respect to banking and radii while others show concessions to the stubborn mountains thru which it was carved.

Has only recently become under fire by law enforcement and for years has been the place for unbridled speed orgies.

I've enjoyed many, of the two and four wheeled variety. There are many on this planet that are indeed insane and many of them ceased being so on the Dragon.

The death and injury count climbed to the point as to be sanctioned resulting in the loss of federal road money, so it's a different gig now.

F you missed it...... tough, I doubt it will ever be the same.

There are MANY similar roads throughout the state and my shop is on a very fast one that as of now, seems to be free of constables willing to make high speed chase.

Our roads here are why the very under geared Land Of UK pushrod bikes couldn't hold up.

55mph gearing is miserable on 100mph roads.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I personally would like to do the Cherohala Skyway...

North Carolina section

Tennessee section

Also I know that some people see nothing wrong with it, but I'll never get comfortable with crossing the double yellow to make a turn better.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I personally would like to do the Cherohala Skyway...

North Carolina section

Tennessee section

Also I know that some people see nothing wrong with it, but I'll never get comfortable with crossing the double yellow to make a turn better.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I did the Gap and the Cherohola Skyway (I am positive I am not spelling that right) with a ryder truck towing a car trailer back in 2003. Not as fun.

Speaking of riding fast on roads - some of the open road racing events are starting to embrace motorcycles. Open road racing is basically street legal race cars competing on closed off public highways. These have always been car only events but some of the straight line ones are opeing up to cycles. To me this sounds like the ultimate cafe racer style event and maybe we should....you know...rally and push for a motorcycle class at some of the already existing events like the silver state challenge. Think of it - street legal vintage race bikes running flat out on public highways competing for a time without having to go to a foreign country like the IOM. Sounds pretty cafe racer to me.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I did the Gap and the Cherohola Skyway (I am positive I am not spelling that right) with a ryder truck towing a car trailer back in 2003. Not as fun.

Speaking of riding fast on roads - some of the open road racing events are starting to embrace motorcycles. Open road racing is basically street legal race cars competing on closed off public highways. These have always been car only events but some of the straight line ones are opeing up to cycles. To me this sounds like the ultimate cafe racer style event and maybe we should....you know...rally and push for a motorcycle class at some of the already existing events like the silver state challenge. Think of it - street legal vintage race bikes running flat out on public highways competing for a time without having to go to a foreign country like the IOM. Sounds pretty cafe racer to me.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That would be awesome!

1 - 20 of 66 Posts