Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really want something with damping adjustment, since I sometimes have luggage and sometimes don't.

The Ikons are awesome but a little pricy. Is there anything stock out there in 13 3/8" (335mm) or so eye-to-eye measurement that I could grab up as a take-off?

I have a pair of CB700SC shocks I cold offer in trade (or partial trade). They're really exactly what I want in terms of stiffness and adjustment, but they're too long for me and the left side contacts the chain at the bottom.

·
Registered
10,489 Posts
Hagon should be able to sort you out. I would assume for around $300.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's the hiccup. I could get Ikon's for a little less than that, but I'm wondering if there's an OEM take-off I could grab up for closer to $150 or less.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
I can get you 330 or 340 mm from hagon. Got some at 200. No decent new shocks are 150 bucks. Sorry.

·
Registered
10,489 Posts
Ikons for $150??

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
No, he means Ikons for less than 300. There are some at the 295 dollar mark or so. I can do the motocross/trials long-stroke dual-shock hagons for 195 bucks. That's the cheapest decent shock you can find, from me or anyone else.
I'm not saying you need to buy em from my shop. There are a lot of places to get em. whoever you get em from, spif, get those, if all you can spend is 200 bucks.
What are these for?

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They're for the XS650. It's still running stockers, and one's seeping oil. When I put the luggage on and sit down, it almost hits bottom...not so great. I'll hit you up if I can get $200 to spend. I was really hoping for a used (on the cheap) upgrade though.

So the stuff Mike's XS sells, crap?

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Those shitty MDI's or wtf ever they are? 80 bucks or so?

If so, yeah, utter shite. Have two pair hanging on the wall, won't use em for anything. Won't give em away to people, either, wouldn't wish those crappy POS's on anyone.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Just look around and figure out what is compatible. I used F3 fork tubes that slid right into my lowers on my triumph and they work great - best $120.00 I ever spent!

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Simply put, new shocks with damping adjustment and and preload adjustment that dont cost a crap ton of money leave you at, basically, the 380 dollar 7610 Ikons (4 position damping), or the 300 dollar Hagon 2810 (10 position damping), as the low end.
I have the Ikon 7614 (an all-aluminum version of the 7610, they are a little more than a pound less each)with threaded preload adjustment on my GS750. They are 500ish dollars.
If I were going to order another set of springs right now though, I'd buy the Hagon Nitro shocks. Also about 500 bucks, but with 10 position damping (and threaded preload).
I have the hagon moto-trials 200 dollar jobbies on my GS550 dual-sport project. THey have a long stroke, which is great for jumping speed bumps on a 480lb bike. They only have preload adjustment and are not rebuildable. They are still fine shocks, though.
If you can get 300 bucks together, though, get the hagon 2810's at 340mm.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
You want a spring pre-load adjustment, not damping adjustment.
Just about anything that fits will work, just get something off a heavier bike.
I used a pair of Kawasaki KZ750 shocks for years on my XS

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
I would go back to the CB700SC shocks and space the left one away from the swingarm and frame with some 1/4 in washers. I think the extra length should help the handling of an XS650, especially if you still have the 19" front wheel on it. But if you want a more stock length, the shocks off a V45,12.5" or V65 Magna, 14", and some were adjustable damping and sprung stiff for the shaft drive.

E-bay

Ken

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Extra length has always been in the cards, but this is 2.5" extra length. It's too much. I could barely touch the ground and my seat is 1" lower than stock. Right now I have the front end dropped about 1", and the plan is to get shocks about 1" longer than stock, which is what I understand a bunch of the flat track people have done.

And I think I do want both preload and damping adjust if at all possible.

This illustrates why spacing the CB700 shocks out isn't possible:

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I swear I'm not short. I'm damn near the U.S. standard for average: 5'11", 32" inseam. On a bike I like to be flatfooted with some bend left in the knee for leverage.

Ken really is a jerk. He got me thinking, and I went and tried to install the damn CB shocks yet again just to be sure. I actually made a mistake before and they can clear the chain, a fact that, once I realized it, made me reconsider selling them. It turns out the bottom mounts are offset from center, and I just had to flip em. I had to sit on my partly dismantled bike for half an hour pondering it. But they still are too long, and I'd have to work out something to get them to clear the exhaust mufflers now.

The best answer is something not so fat in the shock body, and about 13 1/2".

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Most of the hagons are available in slim-line, including the 2810's.

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
I really am a jerk :)

If you raised the front back up where it is supposed to be, maybe the Nighthawk shocks would be good. More ground clearance is better.

Ken

1 - 19 of 19 Posts