Cafe Racer Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1982 Honda CB 750
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, long time listener, first time caller.

Me: I ride around the Pacific Northwest (Portland is home), I'm a mouse's eyelash from 6' 6", and I work in IT for the school district(s). I've ridden since I was a kid, uncle had a plot of land and a bustling repair shop in another country. Moved away, but kept the itch to ride.

I've had a '79 Yamaha SR500 (stolen), couple of other late 90's CB900/Nighthawk (sold when I moved from West to East Coast), a '16 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone (totaled, attempted theft), and now a '17 Triumph Thruxton 1200 (non-R).

Finally settled down at my new job and home (rented, sadly) and I have ample space for a project again.

Looked online, found a lad who was eager to trade for a spare laptop I had, and I came home with a 1982 Honda CB 750 Custom. Only $$ spent was the uHaul and some straps I needed.

I'm going into this with calluses on my hands/fingers, several tools, extra time, and a few bucks to spare over an indefinite period of time. I want to learn, most of all, HOW my bike runs, and not just enjoy the good-weather-rides.

I guess, I'm also looking for inspiration, or some direction as to how to go about this correctly.

My Thruxton scratches my "Cafe Racer" itch, so I was looking to see what ideas others may have!

Scrambler (my old Guzzi was a pseudo-scrambler with the 2-in-1 Arrow Exhaust and tracker bars)?
Naked?
Streetfighter (thicc wheels would be nice)
Full on restore?
or another Cafe Racer?

Bike fires, battery holds "some charge" enough to power on lights and starter, but hasn't turned over as I was told Carb 2 needed a floater bowl gasket, which seller had. He did not have the time with his new baby, and had the part sitting alongside the bike for 6mo.

I haven't taken proper images myself, so I am using one I was sent from the seller (I have the side/airbox covers, were just taken off to check internals).

Cheers everyone, stay safe out there!

·
Registered
128 Posts

Me: I ride around the Pacific Northwest (Portland is home), I'm a mouse's eyelash from 6' 6", and I work in IT for the school district(s). I've ridden since I was a kid, uncle had a plot of land and a bustling repair shop in another country. Moved away, but kept the itch to ride.

I've had a '79 Yamaha SR500 (stolen), couple of other late 90's CB900/Nighthawk (sold when I moved from West to East Coast), a '16 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone (totaled, attempted theft), and now a '17 Triumph Thruxton 1200 (non-R).

Finally settled down at my new job and home (rented, sadly) and I have ample space for a project again.

Looked online, found a lad who was eager to trade for a spare laptop I had, and I came home with a 1982 Honda CB 750 Custom. Only $$ spent was the uHaul and some straps I needed.

I'm going into this with calluses on my hands/fingers, several tools, extra time, and a few bucks to spare over an indefinite period of time. I want to learn, most of all, HOW my bike runs, and not just enjoy the good-weather-rides.

I guess, I'm also looking for inspiration, or some direction as to how to go about this correctly.

My Thruxton scratches my "Cafe Racer" itch, so I was looking to see what ideas others may have!

Scrambler (my old Guzzi was a pseudo-scrambler with the 2-in-1 Arrow Exhaust and tracker bars)?
Naked?
Full on restore?
or another Cafe Racer?

Bike fires, battery holds "some charge" enough to power on lights and starter, but hasn't turned over as I was told Carb 2 needed a floater bowl gasket, which seller had. He did not have the time with his new baby, and had the part sitting alongside the bike for 6mo.

I haven't taken proper images myself, so I am using one I was sent from the seller (I have the side/airbox covers, were just taken off to check internals).

View attachment 105273
Have a look at cycle-x they have some interesting cb750 stuff

·
Administrator
214 Posts

Naked?
Full on restore?
or another Cafe Racer?

Welcome onboard. Great intro. For sure other members can point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
1982 Honda CB 750
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also, if anyone can shed any info on this, I searched up some VIN Code lists for the specific model that I have, not sure if I have a 750K or 750C (Custom).

·
Registered
1982 Honda CB 750
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have a look at cycle-x they have some interesting cb750 stuff
That website is... Ridiculous to navigate! haha Its like the storefront, main page and comments section are all jumbled together with pictures

Any links you can shoot me as examples?

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
If you have to think to long about what it could be then it already is.

You said the bike fired but wouldn't turn over, I don't follow. The bike needs to turn over in order to fire. Are you saying the engine is not seized?
When was the bike last licenced?

·
Registered
1982 Honda CB 750
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You said the bike fired but wouldn't turn over, I don't follow. The bike needs to turn over in order to fire. Are you saying the engine is not seized?
I may have both of those terms mixed. I press the starter, it makes noise, turns on, but since it has a bad gasket, leaking fuel.

Tags expired in Oct of 2020 from CO. I have the signed title and just waiting for an appointment here in Portland, OR. Checked VIN, all clean, not stolen or in any accidents.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Get it running properly before you do anything else.

You may then want to think about what you want the second bike for and find a model suited to the changes you want to make.

·
Administrator
281 Posts
If the starter turns the engine it cranks. If it actually starts running it fires.

I agree with Woodsman, get it to fire up before going too far down the road and fix that fuel leak first.

You need air, fuel, and spark. The easiest quick way to narrow it down if it cranks is to spray a couple short squirts of starter fluid in the carbs and see if it tries to fire off when you hit the starter. That will tell you fuel is the missing link. If there is no change start checking plugs.

·
Registered
1982 Honda CB 750
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Awesome, that's definitely the plan!

I'm pretty excited. Going to do a nice teardown, inspect everything, get that gasket in, and make sure it fires without leaks. I'll check fuses, wiring, fluids, and give it a nice cleaning, as it is pretty dusty.

Thanks for the explanation, looks like I've been using those terms incorrectly for... longer than I'd care to admit.

·
Registered
128 Posts
That website is... Ridiculous to navigate! haha Its like the storefront, main page and comments section are all jumbled together with pictures

Any links you can shoot me as examples?
Funny you say that it does say on they site proudly "voted worst web site"
I don't mind it so much but they have become a bit more standard lately. They used to have some extreme stuff that most wouldn't use but it sparks the imagination.
One item that springs to mind was a speedo they had that mounted on the lower fork not needing a cable, attaching straight to the speedo drive. "cool" o_O

1 - 15 of 15 Posts