Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, they say you can find sympathy between shit and syphilis in the dictionary and I'm not looking for any anyhow> I just thought I'd share a not-so-excellent adventure I had yesterday morning.
I had gotten on my favorite bike for a days riding with the vintage bike group and just after I passed Peggy's Cove, I decided to smash into a big white tail doe. Seriously, it just appeared out of nowhere and I didn't even have time to react. The locals told me there had been a bull moose in the neighbourhood the previous evening, I'm awfully glad I didn't hit that fellow!
The results were: the deer is dead, the Commando is banged up and I think I got off with the least damage of all. Just a nasty looking hematoma on the left calf...going to have to sit around on my arse and ice it for a few days. If all goes well I should be back riding again before too long. Have to go back to the hospital today to get the leg checked out again, but so far all seems well. I'll fix up the Commando over the winter.
For those people who like to ride in shorts, sandals and a T shirt, there's no denying that the riding gear I had on saved me a lot of pain and misery...a testimony to what wearing half decent riding gear can do for you.

I may have killed the first deer of the season :)

Goldy

This side of the bike doesn't loos all that bad....and the old Joe Rocket jacket may have saved me a broken shoulder.
The first thing that went through my head when I stopped rolling was "What happened to the bike?"

Attachments

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Glad you made out ok! It could have been so much worse. Were you wearing leather pants too? The Norton will fix up just fine.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh yes leather chaps too...left leg all splotched up with deer shit.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
So, did you take him home and eat him?

Glad you are alright, the commando can be fixed (though at the price of norton forks I think you should just sell it to me as is).

I once hit a Moose in Canada with a '68 ford Torino. Glancing hit and one of the worst car accidents I had even been a passenger in.

Last night I was riding home and the thoughts about deer kept running through my head. It's that season.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, the deer was in the back of one of the locals cars before you could say Jack Robinson, but we did manage to get him to stick around until after the cops came. If he had his way he probably would have knocked me on the head, had me gutted and hanging up in his garage before noon time too. I told him a wanted a steak, but I doubt that will happen :)
Another shot of my poor old baby...it will live again.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Kind of like my deer - motorcycle accident last Nov. I've got a line on some great guys down in Kentucky that can straighten out those forks for you. You got off real lucky.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
technically speaking that deer belonged to you, so if the local loaded it into his car without your permission...well...you know how deer hunters are, I don't really advise arguing with him. I hope the guy who loaded the deer at least stopped to see if you are alright.

If it were me I would have punched the dead deer square in the face. Then told the tow truck hauling my bike to haul the deer to my house (or the local butcher) and then I would have eaten the hell out of that deer. Every bite. Probably saying fuck you deer each time I cooked and cut a piece.

Let's hope the frame isn't bent. Hopefully you have good classice bike insurance coverage for it.

·
Registered
7,019 Posts
Did some serious fork modification. Sorry to hear that happened. I got hit by a 100lb button buck a few years back in my Chevy S10 pick up. He tried to clear a 2 lane road in a single leap and hit me in the side breaking the windshield, hitting me in the face (thank God my side window was down) causing me to knock the rearview mirror off the windshield and ripping open the headliner, pushed the door post in 1-1/2" (totaling the truck), breaking out the extended cab window and then 2 big dents in the side of the bed. In all the wrecks I had been in in my 20 years racing stock cars, none of them knocked the crap out of me like that wreck did, so I know how you feel. Get well soon.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
The company I used for my work is called Frame Straight - web site Motorcycle Rim repair,Motorcycle Wheel repair,truing,rim straightening,Wheel Repair and Wheel Straightening for Motorcycles,Most accurate repair in the world - telephone number 800-846-1306. They did an excellent job with my front forks for a little more than $100.00. They can also straighten out mc frames. They are located in Kentucky (if I recall correctly). I can imagine you got thrown over the handle bars and the bike did a few endos. I had the same though after I landed - "What happen to the bike..."

w.FrameStraightsystem.com

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Shit!!!! Finally got a window of opportunity in the shop and started assessing the damage to the Commando. Bloody frame is slightly bent at the headstock, hard to believe the damage that running into 100lbs of meat can do...well I guess that means I'll be spending the rest of the week stripping the bike down to its bare bones. I should be able to get it back to rights myself, but if I can't I will seriously consider using that contact above, thanks Bob!
I guess I should consider it a chance to renew the whole chassis, isolsatics and all. At least it doesn't need any engine or transmission work.
My left leg is almost mended, still some trouble with the kneecap and range of motion, but that will come in time...I hope! F---ing deer!

·
Registered
928 Posts
I hit a deer almost one year to the date on my ZX14. 60 mph it ran right into the side of my bike under the right handlebar. I thankfully didnt go down, the side impact broke the bead on the tire and flattened it instantly. He did $6k worth of damage. Got it all put back together and the second time out I hit another deer at 30 mph. Luckily it wasnt as bad, I clipped her and sent her sliding down the road.

This morning I had another run in and locked it up and slid a good 15-20 yards just missing the deer. Its time they up the bag limit around here.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Damn! Glad you're okay. I'm surprised it killed the deer, actually... in both of the deer-related accidents I've been in the fucker just bounced off the car and ran off in to the woods. Way more damage to the car than the deer, in any case.

-Deek

·
Registered
7,019 Posts
I don't know the formula but what does a 100lbs weigh at 60mph. I was doing around 35mph in my S10 pick up when a deer ran into the side of me (he hit me, I didn't hit him), totaled the truck, moved the drivers door post in 1-1/2"s.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Update - about two weeks ago I hit another deer but this time while I was driving in my car. I had no damage as I took evasive action before the deer took out my driver's door and the deer ended up hitting my rear bumper. I'm still recovering from my deer/motorcycle accident from last year. Goldy - I'm not surprised you have frame damage.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
i have taken out 14 in the past 14 years. :/ none on bikes thankfully. but the front of my jeep has to have lights falling off before i replace any sheetmetal or the header panel now. I need a bigger bumper.

·
Registered
7,019 Posts
i have taken out 14 in the past 14 years. :/ none on bikes thankfully. but the front of my jeep has to have lights falling off before i replace any sheetmetal or the header panel now. I need a bigger bumper.
You'd think you would learned about deer whistles by now.;)

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
yeah those got broken off twice. Our deer are deaf. With the hunters from Florida making more noise in the woods with Polaris Rzrs and the stealth of a pack of wild hogs in a china shop which also side deals in used cymbals they have to be. Otherwise they (the deer) would have no sporting chance to die :p

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I like to joke that i am into extreme big bore hunting. When asked I say I shoot about a 28 million grain flatnose projectile at 88 feet per second.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts