Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,453 Posts
I don't want to be Mr. Negative, but am I the only one tired of seeing new members intro featuring pics of their bobber/chopper? Or their '06 GSXR, for that matter. Anybody reading the title of this site before joining?

... and why on Earth would anybody want rearsets with those ape hangers?

Now that I have that outta the way, nice looking paint job, I suppose.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,952 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Judeyramone

I don't want to be Mr. Negative, but am I the only one tired of seeing new members intro featuring pics of their bobber/chopper? Or their '06 GSXR, for that matter. Anybody reading the title of this site before joining?
Not sure what's wrong with bringing a bobber here.
I mean, bobbers were the first attempts at making a stock bike perform better. Precursor to the 'cafe racer', for sure.

quote:
... and why on Earth would anybody want rearsets with those ape hangers?

Now that I have that outta the way, nice looking paint job, I suppose.
Kinda wondered this myself. Wouldn't be terribly comfortable with those bars.... Now, with some drag bars, that might change things.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,448 Posts
Hi Mark,
Post WWII, bobbers were an attempt by HD/Indian riders to get weight down so they could be competitive with European bikes, particularly BSA Gold Star, Velocette 500, AJS/Matchless and later the Triumph Bonneville.(et.al.)
European bikes were already well on the way to becoming cafe racers as they were minimalist to start with plus there was a road racing 'tradition'
Nothing wrong with bobbers but this is a cafe site (hell, even I'm building something)
Cafe racers were a early/mid sixties phenomenon, if you wait long enough just about anything comes back into fashion (need some winklepickers and a DA haircut :D)

PJ
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,952 Posts
quote:Originally posted by crazypj

Hi Mark,
Post WWII, bobbers were an attempt by HD/Indian riders to get weight down so they could be competitive with European bikes, particularly BSA Gold Star, Velocette 500, AJS/Matchless and later the Triumph Bonneville.(et.al.)
European bikes were already well on the way to becoming cafe racers as they were minimalist to start with plus there was a road racing 'tradition'
Nothing wrong with bobbers but this is a cafe site (hell, even I'm building something)
Cafe racers were a early/mid sixties phenomenon, if you wait long enough just about anything comes back into fashion (need some winklepickers and a DA haircut :D)

PJ
I guess, PJ, but European motorcyclists were still removing as much as they could, even pre-war, to lighten the bikes. Perhaps they didn't call them 'bobbers', but a rose by any other name...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,952 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,952 Posts
Sorry, I dunno what 'cheap' means from one person to the next...

I can tell you we got some stock rc51 rear sets for our 350 racebikes, I think 70 bucks shipping. Not a 'direct' bolt on, but it looks like you might be capable of some fabrication.
Seriously, was not meant to be unwelcoming. Was just showing you a ready made solution.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,952 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,780 Posts
Hi Justin,
Welcome to the board. One of the issues you will have adapting current sport bike rearsets to your XS is that they are generally set up for a disk rear brake and you have a drum. It can be done but may require some engineering and fabrication. I like to use the stock rearsets from an FZ600 or FZR600.

By the way, I would consider it bad manners to go into somebodies bar and start telling them how to treat me. Kind of the same here. While we all like to learn about different kinds of bikes, I don't know that your lecture on bobbers being cafe bikes went over all that well. Furthermore, declaring upside down ATV bars to be "poor man's clubmans" doesn't make it true, it just makes them lame. So, you might want to take a step back and decide if you really are the jerk that you came off as. Then you can try and be a part of the board and actually learn something and get some help or whine a little more about how mean we all are and leave.

Ken ( Just glad I could help another traveller on the journey to the cafe lifestyle)

P.S. I know Judey and he is not even close to being poseur. He is several other things, though. The jury is still out on you, but it isn't looking all that good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,952 Posts
Ken, it was me who mentioned that people bobbed bikes before they cafe'd them, but did so for similar reasons, not justin.
You can disagree, if you like. Disagreeing with opinions is funny :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,780 Posts
mlinder,
You know I am about as agreeable as it comes. In fact I even agree with you about how much fun opinions can be. I prefer to have as much fun as possible about what others post and, in fact, enjoy laughing at my own idiocy if it happens. That being said, if people come on here posturing with bravado and demands, I feel free to enjoy myself and entertain others. If others are not entertained and just think I am a jerk, then I will hide my head in shame and sulk.

Ken
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,334 Posts
so it wouldn't be a good idea to save money and turn my ape-hangers upside-down to complete my chopper/cafe?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,780 Posts
quote:Originally posted by CaTacL1sm

so it wouldn't be a good idea to save money and turn my ape-hangers upside-down to complete my chopper/cafe?
Are they really ape hangers or are they T-bars, sometimes known as attack bars?
Either way, I think it would be a great idea, cause it would get you into the cafe lifestyle. Don't forget some checkerboard decals, side mount license plate, missing fenders and 59 decals. Homage to the Ace Cafe and DTT are optional in my opinion, but some may disagree.


Ken
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,952 Posts
quote:Originally posted by kenessex

mlinder,
You know I am about as agreeable as it comes. In fact I even agree with you about how much fun opinions can be. I prefer to have as much fun as possible about what others post and, in fact, enjoy laughing at my own idiocy if it happens. That being said, if people come on here posturing with bravado and demands, I feel free to enjoy myself and entertain others. If others are not entertained and just think I am a jerk, then I will hide my head in shame and sulk.

Ken
I disagree with your opinion, Ken!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,448 Posts
Your probably going to have to do some welding if you want realistic priced rearsets.(ie, less then $100.00)
GSXR, etc use small bolts (8mm)and spacing is pretty close together. It can be made to fit but doesn't look 'right'on XS
Kawasaki sport toureres use 10mm bolts and can 'almost' use stock top footrest stud for lower mount but still need tab welded to frame for top rearset mount.
If you were just looking for footrests, can't beat Katana 600, two bolt, with rubber mounting.

PJ
 
1 - 20 of 107 Posts
Top