Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
They're cheap if you got some of that TARP bailout money.
Gee, how am I gonna pay my health insurance this month?

NE

·
Registered
585 Posts
They're cheap if you got some of that TARP bailout money.
Gee, how am I gonna pay my health insurance this month?

NE

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
by the way....isn't a stock YZ450F about 8,000 MSRP. if so, RSD is asking that much for the full prep and upgraded wheels, brakes, and suspension.

tex

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
by the way....isn't a stock YZ450F about 8,000 MSRP. if so, RSD is asking that much for the full prep and upgraded wheels, brakes, and suspension.

tex

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
In theory they'd be great.

I don't think that even if you started w/a used 450 and take off streetbike suspension you could do it for less than half of what RS gets so I'm not saying his price is crazy.

The real problem is they blow up. When I saw the concept bikes didn't think they'd live. From everything I read, on big tracks they're bombs. Oh but what a go kart track weapon they'd be...

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
In theory they'd be great.

I don't think that even if you started w/a used 450 and take off streetbike suspension you could do it for less than half of what RS gets so I'm not saying his price is crazy.

The real problem is they blow up. When I saw the concept bikes didn't think they'd live. From everything I read, on big tracks they're bombs. Oh but what a go kart track weapon they'd be...

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Love to read more about the blowing up. It's been on my "gotta build one" list for a while now.
I was pretty sure those motors were pretty bullet proof. Damn.....

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Love to read more about the blowing up. It's been on my "gotta build one" list for a while now.
I was pretty sure those motors were pretty bullet proof. Damn.....

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
As I understand it, those engines are pretty reliable when left stock. Problems arise when you attempt to get 60+ HP out of 'em, particularly under RR or Flattrack conditions, where you run lots of full throttle. They'll do it, but require more frequent rebuilds.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
As I understand it, those engines are pretty reliable when left stock. Problems arise when you attempt to get 60+ HP out of 'em, particularly under RR or Flattrack conditions, where you run lots of full throttle. They'll do it, but require more frequent rebuilds.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
gotcha...makes sense....

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
gotcha...makes sense....

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
a lot of people around here who buy a 450 MX bike to play on get quite a bit of use out of them... WOT on a road track is a different story.

a new one from our dealership is much less than 8000. it may be our market but we always end up selling them cheap as hell. in fact i sold an '09 model in '09 for $5180.
the yzf450 atv on the other hand, we often get msrp.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
the real problem is they still use dirtbike gas tanks. stu carter ran his out of gas in a solo 20 at nelson last year. tex is exactly right about the price. compare that to a new worked r6. im sure rs has a small premium on it...but thats not such a bad $$$ for a ready to run rig. and id bet craig has about that into his bike. i think i spent about 6-7 on mine start to finish. motor frame, bodywork, tires, ig, shocks......i cant even think about what i spent on just nuts and bolts.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts