Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What cam chains are you guys using in your 350s and how many links are they? They are 219 chains right? Are they installed endless or do you need to use a master link like the 160/175?

I'm experimenting with a new cam chain in our 175 racers that may end up being the be-all end-all 219 size cam chain, and might work great for 350 and 450 racers too.

Michael

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Michael
The 750 chain is the way to go. It's endless but since the cam gear bolts on it's not a problem.
What's your 175 setup? I located a 219 chain with beefier sideplates for mine and use a rivet type masterlink instead of the clip type it comes with

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've used several different cam chains in the 175 racers. The Tsubaki full sideplate race chain is about as strong and burly as they come, and I can get rivet master links for them as well. They work well but are a bit harder on the rubber tensioner rollers than the figure 8 sideplate chains. I've got a solution for that - replace the roller with a metal one...

However, this chain I'm experimenting with is as strong or stronger than the Tsubaki and is a figure 8 sideplate chain. Plus it's a touch lighter than the Tsubaki. It's a gold 219 chain made by DID. I haven't found master links yet but it can be riveted like a bicycle chain. It's generally used as Kart drive chain and in that application they're putting 20 hp through it without issues. It's burly! In our case (160/175) we have to rivet together over the cam sprocket. I'm working on making special tooling for that. For bikes that can install endless chains it'd be a piece of cake. If any of you guys want to try one let me know.

Michael
www.batemanracing.com

1 - 4 of 4 Posts