Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm new to all of this. I am wondering what are the different styles of Cafe racer bikes. I'm about to pick up a 1970 Suzuki T500 from a buddy of mine. I found a guy who can change it up a bit how ever I want. He said to find out the style I am looking for. I can't go too crazy because I will still need turn signals to get onto base. Are there different names to the styles of cafe racers? Little did I know back in high school I could of made my CB360 look cool. I'm into vintage Lambretta scooters and am now coming into this two stroke moto. Please any help would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
A friend of mine is working on a T500. Fill out your bio, soldier!

·
Registered
1,731 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. Oh and I'm in the Navy....... So squid is the name for me.... I suppose. I am putting on some clubman's soon and gonna get some rear sets. I'll post some pics when I get them. Tell me this if I put on a front Faring/windscreen would take down the wind drag considerably? Not sure if that would look lame on this. Unfortunately I haven't really seen many T500's in the cafe style. The ones that I have seen are with different bars and rearsets or full blown out racers. What's the in between look? I do want different carbs and expansion chambers. Any suggestions????????? Cheers

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Some items you can find off the rack, some from ebay and some you can find at your local MC savage yard. It all comes down to how much money you want to spend vs how much labor you can provide. Most of the folks in this site will do their mods on the cheap and adapt other bike parts to their bikes. Case in point, modern sport bikes have some really nice rear sets that you can buy from ebay or a savage yard that can be adapted for your bike that will do the trick. Other items you may have to fabricate so access to a machine shop or friends with a machine shop are really nice friends to have. Check out the project bike section in this form to see what other folks have done in the past.

Good luck and thank you for your service
Ex-Navy guy myself

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Ratty-550

Desmocat on the Sundial board's T500 race bike really does it for me.
I've seen that bike in person, and it does it for me as well.

Rude,

it sounds funny but the first step is to figure out what your local laws will allow. Some states require turn signals, others don't, some require front fenders, others....well...you get the idea. The AMA has a listing of states laws and that is a good place to look. also talk to your local bike shop that does inspections, ask them what is the bare minumum to pass.

cafe racers are not defined by "styles" and talking about them as a style is a pretty clear cut path to being labled a cafe lemming.

the basic definition is a performance oriented vintage motorcycle that has just the bare minimum to make it a practical motorcycle. Basically a race bike for the street. The difference between this and a chopper is in the term "performance". These bikes are not about style, they must function as a useable motorcycle first and foremost. A modern sportbike equilavent would be the streetfighter. within this loose definition you are free to do what you want.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts