Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know its a bit off of topic but... I'm restoring an 82xr 250 and I hate drum brakes. I picked up an 84 xr250 front end off of ebay (disc brakes!), wheel, disc, forks, master cylinder, tripletree etc... So after comparing the two setups, it looks like pretty much everything is the same except that the old forks are about an inch and a quarter longer. So my question is do you think that the steering geometry will be too far off to warrant making the switch. I'm wondering if the angle will be too steep to be safe/comfortable/rideable? Any thoughts? Thanks!

·
Registered
201 Posts
just drop the triples down a little and let the forks stick out the top a little. I do that on my bikes a lot to lower the front end. it shouldn't hurt anything.

carpe diem.... seize the carp

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oops, I meant to say that the new forks are SHORTER not longer. I'm going to have them flush with the top of the triple and they will still be about an inch and a quarter shorter than stock... I should have read back through that before I posted

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
can't you just swap the tubes? if they are the same diameter it might be possible but you will have to take things apart.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cant swap tubes. The new ones have the brake carrier for the caliper and the old ones don't. Also, there is about a 1mm difference in diameter, though the steering head diameter is the same (same steering head bearings)

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
on a dirtbike you raise the rear too. just like on a racebike. it doesnt make too big of a difference. my guess is, if you have to ask, you wont notice. but raising the rear usually is best. unless youre extremely short for the bike. weird that i think the xr250l had a drum, but the r had a disk. but i guess it makes sense. less bite one wet streets.

jc

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I don't think it will make that much of a difference but if you are really anal about it you can call forking by frank and he will set you up with a set of the proper length tubes (BTW fork tubes refer to the chrome upper part, fork or forks refer to the whole assembly). Or just drop the rear to match.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts