Cafe Racer Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
26,142 Posts
Honda makes their own replica of the dream 50 racer. A lot of money too ($6K).

Special construction and limited production bikes cost a lot of money, period. It's nice to see something like this in a territorry mostly dominated by harley davidson clones and old brit bikes. There are a lot of trick parts on that machine, and it would probably cost you the same amount to replicate it. If there is a market for this, than that gives me hope for the cb750 cafe racer kits I plan on marketing later next year (clip-ons, rearsets, seat, tank, and headlight/speedo combo) if I can get my act together.

I don't really see the point in griping about it becasue it is for a niche market of collectors and racers who fall outside the resourceful shoestring joe everyman mentaility of cafe racers built out of 70's japanese bikes. It's really nice, maybe it will drum up some interest for out type of motorcycles, but it is not the core of this hobby which is roll up your sleves and break out the welding torch.

· Registered
26,142 Posts
quote:
dude

take those jap bikes off the street and get on the race track. tona o fun, cool bikes, cool people and good partys. do it

m tanner
I like street riding too much (yes I really like it, even in manhattan).

· Registered
26,142 Posts
quote: Hey...most of them race more than me, have more bikes than me and are faster than me.
We've got guys like ex-pro racer Frank C., who is also owns a CNC machine company, is a tremendous designer and used to work for Yetman building frames...and sometimes he's even fast too.

I even force my wife to race.

http://www.jrbranson.com/HondaRacer/honda/2003_race_1.htm

You are in our area.... we'd love to have you racing with us. Club info here: http://www.race-uscra.com/

JohnnyB
Didn't see that racing organization when I was doing my search and it seems to be closer than wera or ahrma series tracks.

While I have your attention, let me pick your brain for a second. I am 6'5" tall and weigh about 280lbs. From my understanding this puts me out of being competitive in anything less than a 500cc two stroke, not that I really want to be competitive, but I don't want to be a rolling roadblock either).

This also brings me to the issue of bikes, what bike do I cut up for a race bike. The only drum brake bikes I have right now are a 71t500 and a 65 honda dream. Since I am getting rid of the kz, the only bikes I can spare are disc brake bikes.

· Registered
26,142 Posts
these were the bikes I posted in another thread that I currently have and can cut up. The others are too nice or too far gone.

- 1971 T500: Not really keen on cutting this bike up because it is clean nice running stock street bike. However it came with two other engines (one already prepped for comp) and I have a line on a spare frame. Not really keen on racing on a drum.

- 1974 GT380s: I have two that I using to make one cafe racer bike (actually Rosko is holding one for me at his place). One has a really nice front end and brake setup, the other has a good clean running engine. I was actually going to sell these because I really don't need them, but If I can find a purpose for them all the better.

- 1976 Kawasaki h1: My former drag bike. They closed the local drag strip to me and I don't have NHRA approved drag leathers nor a desire to drive an hour to a track that will only let me compete in a bracket class. Lot of stuff braced on this bike, safety wired, etc. Currently torn down for conversion to road use.

- 1978 Cb750F. Converted cafe racer. Bought this From Rosko (who turned me on to this site). Makes a nice street bike. I have a spare 811cc engine I could throw in if rules allow. Heavy bike though.

· Registered
26,142 Posts
The gt380 is not barn burning fast but no slouch. The suzuki two strokes have a powerband that starts a little off idle and goes to redline, they behave almost like a 4 stroke. Compared to an RD350 they have a lot more bottom end but less top end, so I guess it evens out. I'd say the thing makes about 40-45hp at the rear wheel which isn't so bad stock. I have one that is in pretty nice shape with a bad gearbox (installed incorrectly) and a new top end. It also has a lot of internal mods to the front forks done by the previous owner. The Other bike has a nice engine but was in a police impound yard which speaks volumes as to the abuse it must have taken. I only have a title for one, which is probably a good thing since I'll probably just use the frame for the one without for racing in case I prang it. There is a suzuki specalist who sells race parts for these bikes (sundail motorsports) so somebody must be racing them.

· Registered
26,142 Posts
quote:
stands .....looking at shop with 6 bikes in different stages,of build...scatching head "disposable income" ...uhmmm...Now !That could be my problem...Im supposed to be using ..."disposable income"...uhmmm well I've been doing it all wrong ....walks away discouraged
I don't get it....if you are a shop, you are supposed to be using someone else's disposable income

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.