Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a search on the forums and found nothing. Sorry if its been covered. I have a 75 CB750 and am trying to ditch my electric start. Not too good at electrics and wiring other than basic knowledge. I need to complete the curcuit to even start the motor right? Is there a really easy way to do this? bypass the starter motor and all? Any help would be great I'd to get this bike on the road for bike week. Thanks.

Russ Devins

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
The starter button only is used to kick in a relay that provides a connection to the starter motor which then turns over the motor. You shouldn't have to do anything - why in heck would you want to bypass the E-starter anyways???? If the motor is bad or not in the motor, you should be able to just click the key on and kick it over....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, being a n00b at motorcycle mechanics, i broke the electric start switch. So I said to myself 'kick start is way cooler anyways'. So having the wires to the switch not connected shouldnt affect the motor running?

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
you got it. just figure out which leads from the switch are the ones to the starter button and disconnect them. If you just leave it alone the broken switch could short and drain the battery.

Personally I would consider buying a new switch and keeping the e-start. You don't have to use it to start the bike but if you intend to work on this sucker it helps when you are doing certain maintenance tasks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts