Cafe Racer Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all
I'm trying to turn a box of GS550 parts into a cafe racer and what started out as a simple fixup has turned into something bigger but hopefully cooler.
My current experiment is home made turn signals which i plan to machine from alu and I'm hoping there is someone out there who knows about the electronics.
I thought it would be a simple case of connecting 6 off 2v orange LED in series and connecting them to 12v but I tried that and it lasted about 20 seconds and died.
I'm assuming I need some kind of resister but a bit of googling turned up some DC input constant current LED drivers so is that a better approach or is a resister better?
Would each turn signal need a driver and how would it work with the light on the dashboard and the flasher?
I really don't understand this stuff.
Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
6,779 Posts
Are you starting from raw LED's or an LED lamp designed to go into a lamp socket?
LED is a diode it has an operating voltage and a current draw it's not a resistive lode like an incandescent lamp it operates on reverse bias voltage which is a fancy way of saying it lights up when you pass electricity through it in one direction only. Making them flash is a whole different thing again for that you need a controller circuit and here again are you building this from scratch or buying the bits and pieces?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts