Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bought a exhaust on ebay off a cb550. the exhaust says cb550 on it. so thats obviously correct. the exhaust wouldn't fit without me making new brackets and denting a pipe where it was coming in contact with the brake lever. it just plain doesn't fit my bike. my bike was said to be a 76 cb550 and the vin starts with cb550. but the stock exhaust off the bike said cb500. that was my first clue that i may have a cb500.
my questions are...
1. did the exhaust system change on the cb550's? i'm a noob, and also don't know if i have a k model.
2. what can i look at to be sure i have a cb550 other then the side panels that say cb550?

i have got the right side exhaust on, but it wasn't an easy thing to do. it took about 2.5 hours with a hammer, torch and spare bracket material.
ok, i'm going to the bar to get wrecked.

'72 cb750
'76 cb550

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
2.5 hours?! ouch.

could be anything. your bike could be a 500. the pipe could be stamped wrong. the model/ year could be different. your sidecovers could be from another bike.... Here's a bit of sarcasm and info to get you started.

1. we know.
2. look on the headtube or steerer tube, there is a stamping and a plate with the VIN# and all the Honda model code and year info.

BORN TO LURK, FORCED TO WORK.
www.NYCvinMoto.com
www.VinMoto.org

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
the 500 motor fits the 550 frame. or maybe its the other way around. if you have a motor in the wrong frame, it may not fit correctly. as far as i am aware, the cb500's and all of the 550's, f model included, should fit the same exhaust. if you have a 500 motor in a 550 frame, the fitment could be outta whack id imagine. ive never done the swap, but i know its common. check the motor number. that'll tell you for sure.

jc

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
figured it out. i have a 1976. the exhaust is off a 1977. that year, they changed a few things like the tank, and oh yeah...they exhaust! live and learn.

'72 cb750
'76 cb550

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
there is also a 550 K and 550 F model (standard and supersport) for '76 and the exhausts are not interchangible (for the same interference problems you are talking about). If your bike is a 76K and the exhaust is a 77K it might fit or be close, but if you have an F no way is it going to fit.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
in 77, they changed tons on the 550. then in 78 it was close to the same bike, but in 79 they went to the nighthawk.

jc

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
here is the exhaust on it. guess what showed up in the mail the day after i made brackets and spent 3 hours putting on the exhaust? the fucking brackets that i was missing (and made). but if i had the brackets the whole time, i wouldn't have this sense of pride from making something to fix a problem.

'72 cb750
'76 cb550

1 - 7 of 7 Posts