Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
be straight with me here. After several months of living with one i'm tempted to say yes. But I'm trying to withhold judgement. I've wanted one for a while so when a buddy told me he had one with a new stator and rotor, as well as newish chain, sprockets, Avon Supervenom tires, and oh he only wanted $500...

well you can imagine the rest. He didn't mention that the wiring harness was melted out, that there were two tubes of Yamabond gluing all the gaskets on, that it had been sitting on the porch for two years.

I'm about 1/2 way done smearing lipstick on this pig, and so far I'm not too impressed. This thing vibrates more than any lawn mower I've ever owned, and the left cylinder runs only when it wants to. This after spending a fortune for a spare set of carbs (with good diaphragms, no less), plugs and the rest. Oh and the charging system barely functions.

There's a lesson in here somewhere but I can't seem to find it. Pics to come at some point.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it didn't run when i dragged it home (it did start and run badly when I stuck a battery in it). But the tires, alternator and pile of spare parts it came with made it worth while. It's a '75 (wire wheels thank god) but now it has '78 35mm forks & brake, FZR rotor, new '78-style tank, '82 gauges.

·
Registered
546 Posts
No most XS650 do not suck. Mine doesnt. Pampadori's doesnt. Actually his is pretty badass, but thats not the point. Yes they do vibrate like hell but thats just part of their awesomeness haha. But if your cylinder isnt firing start tracing it backwards. Is it getting spark? Is it getting fuel? Is it getting air? How is the compression on that cylinder? How is the compression on the other cylinder? Are they within 10% of each other? Btw if you still need a good set of carbs, I have a set off a '79 that ran like a top I just upped to mikuni's just let me know if you want them.

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
The first brand new motorcycle I ever bought with my very own money was a 1977 XS650. I loved that bike, I abused it, I rode it 30,000 miles. Within it's limits it was a great bike, and I thought it looked great too.
I still miss that bike.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
All of the Canadien sidecar rigs and a few of the American rigs use that motor and they are very strong.
Look up nf343vr for some pictures of the flat tracker he built. I saw it over the weekend and it's gorgeous

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
the lesson learned here is buy the best bike you can afford. YOu bought something abused and not running, neglected and not taken care of and you are undoing decades of that. Be thankful, if it were british or italian it would require an engine rebuild. If it were american you would be rewelding the frame as well.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
the other lesson you are learning is that there is no such thing as a cheap bike and the cheaper it is the more expensive it is going to be. DOn't worry, everybody who is anybody on this forum has learned this lesson, the problem is we still have relapses.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
quote:Originally posted by Geeto67

the other lesson you are learning is that there is no such thing as a cheap bike and the cheaper it is the more expensive it is going to be. DOn't worry, everybody who is anybody on this forum has learned this lesson, the problem is we still have relapses.
Yeah, i've been down this road two or three times before. I'm just frustrated, that's all. The left intake manifold appears to have a crack so I'll order some new ones and cross my fingers. Ignition system is also weak on the left side so I'm converting to a single-coil electronic setup.

It's a damn good-looking garage ornament in the meantime. I'll get some pics.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
quote:Originally posted by ZouLou

No most XS650 do not suck. Mine doesnt. Pampadori's doesnt. Actually his is pretty badass, but thats not the point. Yes they do vibrate like hell but thats just part of their awesomeness haha. But if your cylinder isnt firing start tracing it backwards. Is it getting spark? Is it getting fuel? Is it getting air? How is the compression on that cylinder? How is the compression on the other cylinder? Are they within 10% of each other? Btw if you still need a good set of carbs, I have a set off a '79 that ran like a top I just upped to mikuni's just let me know if you want them.
Thanks for the note - I don't think the bike really sucks but I'm definitely frustrated with it. Thanks for the offer on the carbs but I spent a chunk rebuilding a 'good' set of '78 carbs off ebay and they're pretty good now. Throttle shaft bushings appear to be pretty tight, which is nice.

·
Registered
18 Posts
hey man, I know how you feel. I'm in the same situation with my CB350, saying to myself "why did I think it was a good idea to buy this thing". At least you only paid 500 for it. I don't want to say what I paid, and have paid since. Plus, yours looks a lot nicer then mine...

I won't give up on it if you won't....

·
Registered
546 Posts
Why are you complaining? haha You have the good looking seat and the sweet spoke wheels. But if you ever need anything for your bike get in contact with Michael Morse at www.650central.com. He is a super great guy and really knowledgeable. Great looking bike and good luck with the problems. They will iron out eventually.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
quote:Originally posted by pampadori

nice alloy wheels. you got the 34mm front end still?
No - see my other thread in projects for the specifics but I swapped to 35mm forks (and sliding caliper which is a downgrade).

·
Registered
66 Posts
pardon me for butting in here, but didn't all xs650's come with wire wheels that weren't the specials or special II's? I had a '79 with mags, but all pre-78's i thought had spokes? personally, I now have a '75 with star mags on it which were an option back then (along with a hydraulic rear brake), a racing thing I think.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I really don't know - i'm pretty sure you are right though. I've never seen an early one with mags (and they don't show up in the parts catalogs).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts