Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sure do.

Is that paint chipping/rust scale on your fork lowers? No problem, just paint over it!

Did you blow your proverbial wad on copper!?! No money for handlebars? That's no problem, at all. Just use what you've got and do so improperly!

Shortening cables to a reasonable length is for chumps, say I! Use the same ones that have been in use since 1966! Vintage cables! Not those fake vintage cables you see everywhere nowadays.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1966-CB160-CB-160-Cafe-Racer-bobber-rat-/170499814489?cmd=ViewItem&pt=US_motorcycles&hash=item27b294b459

Just another great example of something that could have been done right for the same time and money, which instead is a joke.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Imitators? Seems like putting all my electrics in tubes and boxes of copper would be a bad idea... also, super cool "flush mounted brake light" that looks like its held in place with two phillips head screws.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Copper rivets aer teh ohsoem.

Totally makes that common-as-dirt, unable to hit 65mph, no front fork brace, chinese-tired, stock-engined crap-heap worth 4500 bucks. Bidding now.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I've seen worse here.....

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
quote:Originally posted by spacmanspif300

quote:Originally posted by mlinder

...Bidding now.
No way, dude! I saw it first.
Whatevs, I got deep pockets. Prepare to try and outbid me.

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
I'm goin' to Hollywood, they'll see that I'm so good
I won't care how I feel, and I'll get to fuck Brooke Shields
I'll just sit and grin, the money will roll right in

I want to be a star, I'm going to have a car
And you'll have to admit, I'll be rich as shit

I would give you some, if you only would have treated me nice
You'll wish that you did, you'll feel pretty stupid

It's fun to be a star, it's nice to have a car
Yeah, you'll have to admit, that I'll be rich as shit
And I'll just sit and grin, the money will roll right in

The money will roll right in

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Upside down superbike bars. Shit paint on fork lowers. Copper handgrips are an intriguing idea. I don't hate them. too bad he didn't take the time to polish a few details. If it's a bike he rebuilt to ride around himself and has decided to sell, he could have done much worse, but I suspect he's just trying to make a profit, and get his start in the "cafe custom" world. Douchebag.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
quote:Originally posted by UngaWunga

I'm goin' to Hollywood, they'll see that I'm so good
I won't care how I feel, and I'll get to fuck Brooke Shields

I want to be a star, I'm going to have a car
And you'll have to admit, I'll be rich as shit

I would give you some, if you only would have treated me nice
You'll wish that you did, you'll feel pretty stupid

It's fun to be a star, it's nice to have a car
Yeah, you'll have to admit, that I'll be rich as shit
And I'll just sit and grin, the money will roll right in

The money will roll right in
:D been listening to this quite a bit lately. so good.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
I can't figure out why people want to put copper (copper anything) on motorcycles. Correct me if I'm wrong here but is it for the vintage/victorian/age of steam/WW1 effect? Personally I think anything copper on a bike looks like shit.

·
Registered
262 Posts
it might not be a racebike or a safe bike...but it shows some effort.
i kinda like it....i wouldnt buy it, but if i saw it on the street id probably say "cool bike" and keep walking.

·
Registered
23,294 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Hoofhearted

I can't figure out why people want to put copper (copper anything) on motorcycles. Correct me if I'm wrong here but is it for the vintage/victorian/age of steam/WW1 effect? Personally I think anything copper on a bike looks like shit.
same reason people used to gold plate everything. It is all for a look. Antique things like jewelry boxes or decorative pieces used a lot of copper (hinges, rivets, inlays) ans as such a lot of people associate it with the industrial revolution and the machine age. It is basically a way to make things look old. There is a movement right now called steam punk where people try to make modern things look like thery were hightech for the 1880s and it is derived from pulp sci-fi of the 1950s so a lot of it ends up looking like a mashup of the two styles. for instance here are two usb keys done in steampunk fashion:

or how about a steampunk computer:

with this bike I don't think he is going for steampunk per se, but I do think he is trying to give it an old timey feeling, as if the bike was older than it was. People in the 1950s and 60's used a lot of copper in car and bike customization, you don't see much of it today because in the 1980s people thought it looked too ugly and tossed it when they redid the cars, but my father's friend used to have a merc ledsled that had copper trim and moldings. hand formed stuff. I think the did it originally so the trim would take chrome better, but just like the look and never chromed it. I think that car was built around 1956 or 58.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
quote:Originally posted by hillsy

quote:Originally posted by Swagger

I've seen worse here.....
I was thinking the same thing.
Werd, this shit gets tiresome.

There's some stylistic things there I really dig. I too likey steampunk style. It's all about the juxtaposition, think the artsy folks call it "texture".

·
Administrator
10,737 Posts
looks like he got smart and decided to start the bidding at .01 so the bidding could actually start.

$1325 with 3 days to go.....i say it hits 2K.

tex

·
Registered
193 Posts
Oh shit..Tipp city, Oh?! thats like...4 miles away from me...ha i go there all the time...never seen the bike though .

·
Registered
23,294 Posts
well if he actually rode it you might have a chance to see it. but I guess polishing all those crooked rivets was more important.

realyy I think there might be a good idea in that bike or too if it didn't lack even a modicum of craftsmanship. how hard is it to scribe a line and drill in evenly spaced intervals?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts