Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this 1974 cb125s for 350 bucks. 90% all complete. well when i rebuild it into a cafe racer i was looking at upgrading to 12volt system. i know its a 6v. i have some of the parts needed but like to find out if anyone has done this and wear did you get your stator.
wanted to go 12v so i can run brighter lights and 12v led brake and turns lights.

motorcycle nut. anything that i can take and make it go fast.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i did some searching and found that the 1984 cb125 had a 12 volt system. do you think the charging system would fit into the 74 case.

i ask this cause. im going to pick up my new 74 cb125 soon. and want to put on some high tech lighting. I got some led turn signals, and led tail/syop light. and a suzuki bandit head light with H4 light.
I have a good strong YTX9-bs battery that should fit. and i have a new style rec/reg from an 02 suzuki gsxr600 that would work. just need to find some more info on how to put an upgraded stator into the 74.

·
Registered
306 Posts
hey man,

welcome to the cb125s club! seems as though there are a bunch of us here...(i know of at least 5 or so)..anyway, i posted about this too with not much response. this is what i have heard...that due to to ohm's law, if you double the wattage of the light, and double the voltage of the light, it pulls the same current as stock...so for our 6v 25watter, you can subsitute a 12volt 50watter with no problems! awesome huh.

but i haven't confirmed this with anyone yet, as it seems everyone on this board is as electrically retarded as myself, or just too lazy to respond...also i have heard out bikes don't have a proper voltage regulator..so if you dont have proper signals etc. you can blow the other lights with too much voltage...

hope somebody smart can chime in here!.....anyone?

"Never mind the track. The track is for punks. We are Road People. We are Cafe Racers." -Hunter S. Thompson

·
Registered
10,502 Posts
i am an electro-retard....
oldrice.com has and Xl board with someone tring to convert to 12 volt.

There is the right way, the wrong way and the british way to do anything!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i know a little that gets me by about electrical. i can wire up anything. its just i dont now much about this 6volt system. as its way before my time. I know of three guys that did a 12volt upgrade on old harleys and they said i need to find the right stator that will fit and go from there but they dont know about these little honda's. im gona try to find a 84/85 cb125 and get the stator coil out of it and see if it will work.

is there any sites on just cb125 cafe bikes. or are we just our own bread.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts