Cafe Racer Forum banner

does anyone here do tank modifications?

2049 Views 19 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  LiLBull
i'd love to get the tank on my 750k modified with the knee indents on the rear of the tank BUT i cant work sheetmetal to save my life, anyone here willing to let me ship em a tank to mod it?

some people are like slinkies, basically useless but they still make me smile when i push them down the stairs
1 - 3 of 20 Posts
if you haven't done the mods already, now that Lilbull is back, ask him. He gots some metal skills.
quote:
cool, i tried to hammer the inserts in with a rubber mallet on a rusty tank just to see if i could do it, didnt go very good at all lol.

some people are like slinkies, basically useless but they still make me smile when i push them down the stairs
why would you use a rubber mallet and not a real bodywork hammer? Rubber mallets are hard to control where you are hammering because of distortion.
quote:
i guess i assumed the guy didnt have a metal working hammer....sorry...i did mine with a rubber mallet, very slowly... it came out pretty good....i will post some pics shortly....
I imagine it would have gone really really slowly, with a rubber mallet. A rubber mallet has a lot of distortion and getting it to make accurate creases is very difficult. With metal working hammers the hit is localized and the metal is streached evenly during the blow.

With any bodywork brute force is not the answer to anything. Even with a good set of hammers, the key is knowing your shape and then gently tapping around the premeter of your shape and working inwards to stretch the metal toward the center where you want it to be concave. It will take time, but anything worth doing is going to be like that.

I bought a set of hammers form eastwood years ago and it wans't a lot of money, they want $25 for a 7 pcs set. The bean bag is also a good idea.
http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=1704&itemType=PRODUCT
http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=11318&itemType=PRODUCT

you could probably get away with doing the knee insets with a bossing mallet and a high crown cross peen finishing hammer (for concave surfaces).
See less See more
1 - 3 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.