Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post here, so please be gentle. :D

I purchased a 1977 Honda CB750K back in August of last year. Since then, I've pulled the carbs out in an attempt to clean them, removed hozes, cables, and anything else that will have to be replaced due to wear.

Problem is, that's where it stopped. Since I live in an apartment, and don't have a garage I can use, I haven't had the motivation to do a complete tear-down of the bike, since that what it'll need.

My plan is to do the whole "cafe" look and feel to it. I know very little about fabrication, modification, and all the things that come with it (electrical work, painting, etc).

What I do have, is a running 2005 Suzuki SV-650S with over 45,000 miles. She's my baby, and we've been through alot, including 4 lowsides, the 2nd of which claimed the front fairing.

In the process of "going naked" I began to experiment with small things. Painting, trimming, what I like to call "Dremel" art, decals, etc. I'll install something, see how I like it, then decided if I want to keep it. Through all of this, the light from my old CB made it's way onto the SV, starting my whold conundrum...

Does it have to be an old bike to be a cafe racer? Is there an age limit, model limit, or certain creed that comes with the title of "cafe"?

To me, the most important thing is that I like the bike. Everything after that is icing on the cake, so to speak. With the SV, I've honed my skills on several key skills that I figure will come in handy. Basic maintenance for one, but also painting (painted the bike myself), electrical (re-wired the front to accept the CB light), mechanical (rearsets, engine cam chain adjustment, etc), and other small things. Someday, I'll put these things to work on the CB... soon.

So, until then, I ask... does it have to be old?

Pics of the progress with ye old SV.

Day after I bought her out of the crate.

First attempt at giving it that "evil" look. [:p]

Through thick and thin, we've been through alot...

Dirty and nasty job after losing the front.

A little cleaner, with a screen.

Chopped front fender, canabalized plastic from an OEM mini fairing.

First attempt at painting parts.

My makeshift "Paint Booth" (balcony on my apartment).

White is done...

Custom decals from Tapeworks (Hard to tell the large red stipe with the small green one).

More decaling (small accent stripes on the radiator covers and fender)

Rearsets installed

Re-badging...

Thus far...

Any comments, criticism, suggestions, etc. are more than welcome... even the ones that aren't to friendly... [:p]

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
awsome sv!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

About your cb750 - everybody thinks these bikes need to be torn down and rebuilt from square 1 and that is a terrible rookie mistake that causes people to stall projects. Break the bike down into "systems" and focus on that system and you will end up with a lot more progress. It is a lot less daunting and will make you feel like you are getting somewhere. If it helps, you can break it down into sub systems like "the front wheel" or "the forks". Fortunatly you picked a bike where everything is available for it and you don;t need a lot of fab skill.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Wow really like what you have done with your SV. Nice job and I definitely agree, it doesn't have to be old to be old.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
quote:Originally posted by coreyjdl

put alot of love into it. my wife is maybe going to get an sv. i hope she'll nurture hers so well. bike looks good, it definetly doesn't have to be old.
Hop on over to SVRider.com... a great site with everything you might want to know, and a few things you probably don't. :D

quote:About your cb750 - everybody thinks these bikes need to be torn down and rebuilt from square 1 and that is a terrible rookie mistake that causes people to stall projects. Break the bike down into "systems" and focus on that system and you will end up with a lot more progress. It is a lot less daunting and will make you feel like you are getting somewhere. If it helps, you can break it down into sub systems like "the front wheel" or "the forks". Fortunatly you picked a bike where everything is available for it and you don;t need a lot of fab skill.
Good to know. I kind of started with the carbs, like I said, only because the previous owner said they needed to be cleaned. I was told the bike ran back in '05, but for $400, I wasn't expecting much.

I'm addicted to the SV at the moment, and figure when it's "done" (relative term), I'll pour all my money into the CB. I'd like to at least get it running first, then worry about the other stuff.

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
To answer your question, I think you have shown yourself the answer with the SV. You have the essence of "Cafe". Streetfighter is the new cafe, in a sense. True cafe? probably not but totally cool.
I would get a front fender of some sort on it, cause riding in the rain without really sucks.

Ken

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
quote:Originally posted by kenessex

To answer your question, I think you have shown yourself the answer with the SV. You have the essence of "Cafe". Streetfighter is the new cafe, in a sense. True cafe? probably not but totally cool.
I would get a front fender of some sort on it, cause riding in the rain without really sucks.

Ken
It's not too bad in the rain or on wet roads. 30 and below, it comes back to me... 30-45 it hits the screen... above that, only my legs get wet. I just like the look... no real other reason to chop the fender like that. [8D]

I'm not big on the whole streetfighter thing... guess that's why I'm not one of the "cool" guys over at SVRider.com. [:p] And while I know it'll never be a true cafe racer, I'm at least honing my skills for when I tackle the CB.

Oddly enough, I got alot of looks while riding through Riverfront in Yorktown on the way home. I hate attention, but it was oddly intoxicating having 3 or 4 people point at me, followed by a thumbsup by a few people. [:I]

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
I'm not a "white motorcycle" person but that one is exceptionally good. For someone who says they don't know a lot I'm looking forward to seeing the CB when its done. No, bikes don't have to be old to be "cafe". They are usually old because thats all we can afford.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
quote:Originally posted by Hoofhearted

I'm not a "white motorcycle" person but that one is exceptionally good. For someone who says they don't know a lot I'm looking forward to seeing the CB when its done. No, bikes don't have to be old to be "cafe". They are usually old because thats all we can afford.
Thanks, man. [:I] SV project is stalled for now... since our rally is coming up in June, and I need to save up for that. Next thing will be a new rear tire, but I consider that maintenance. I still need new levers, clip-ons, and I'm thinking of adding aftermarket analog guages, which I'm not sure is possible. [?]

·
Registered
699 Posts
nice street fighter....i think that street fighter is the cafe feel, but with a modern bike. you did a REALLY nice job with your SV, i like it a lot

·
Registered
326 Posts
Very nice job on the SV.
I currently don't have a sportbike right now after having to sell my FZR1000 last year.I still commute and hit the twisties on my wifes Ninja 250,but it's not the same as a more powerful machine(my FZR put out 118h.p./70lb. torque at the crank).

I have been pondering getting a SV 650 project and building one from the bottom up,piece by piece with all the parts I want/like.
There seems to be a great and large SV community out there and parts appear to be everywhere and easy to find.

This may just be my next winter project this year as I will have my garage full insulated and heated by then,YEAH!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
SV's are pretty versitile. There's some pretty nasty stuff out there.

Best thing about my bike is that it's my daily commuter. I'm currently pushing 46,000 miles and I bought it in January of 2005. We've been alot of places.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'll agree with the rest who say you've done an excellent and very tasteful transformation of your SV. Especially like the history you've shared from 'flying tiger' teeth to the latest incarnation. You obviously have a strong creative ability in you, and to that end I'd fully welcome you to get deep into your CB project. With a functional bike running, it leaves you less "time pressure" to get the CB done, just pick at it and not worry so much about having a firm "ride date" in place!

And GTO67 has it right: break the thing into systems. Forks, Front wheel, Front disc, carburetor1, carburetor 2, 3, 4, and soforth. I restored an engine over the winter in my apartment, as well so I know the troubles of living with the faint scent of old engine oil runnning through the place (although, I swear it's a beautiful scent!).

If you have a parking space that's not directly on the street with your apartment, you can get one of those big 20mm ammo cans off of an army surplus store on line and store your carb cleaner and other volatile chemicals in there. park the ammo can right in front of your car and it's practically invisible. I live in Oakland, CA and nobody's touched it. Just a thought.

Creativity is the Mother of Invention, let it go!!!!

·
Registered
154 Posts
It's about time you posted up over here! I hadn't seen any shots of your new paint scheme. The thing looks f-ing awesome! Those little pinstripes really set it off.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts