Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know if you'll run into problems if you install a master cylinder that was for a bike that has dual discs on a bike that only has a single disc brake? I figure that the brakes might be a little harder to pull b/c of the increase in the bore size of the cylinder. Reason I'm asking is that I'm having problems getting my cb500t master cylinder in the position I want b/c of the longness of the barrell.

·
Registered
139 Posts
It'll work fine. I ran a dual disc master on my Cb750 with stock brake (before I put on the Gl frontend) and the brake worked even better than stock. Jimmy

·
Registered
139 Posts
It'll work fine. I ran a dual disc master on my Cb750 with stock brake (before I put on the Gl frontend) and the brake worked even better than stock. Jimmy

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah, i figured it would, but i just wanted to get someone else (who's done it) to say so too...i just went ahead and got a brembo off of a guy who ran the MC on his motoretard, i mean motard KTM. coming from a bmx background i like my brakes to activate with little pull and i've been finding that my brakes usually don't activate soon enough for my taste. i'm figuring the larger bore will give me a firmer feel too.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah, i figured it would, but i just wanted to get someone else (who's done it) to say so too...i just went ahead and got a brembo off of a guy who ran the MC on his motoretard, i mean motard KTM. coming from a bmx background i like my brakes to activate with little pull and i've been finding that my brakes usually don't activate soon enough for my taste. i'm figuring the larger bore will give me a firmer feel too.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
just make sure you are not overextending your caliper piston - some mater cylinders can put too much pressure on a caliper and cause either the seal to fail or the piston to overextend. The former results in a gradual loss of pressure, the latter in stuck brakes. This is more of a probelm with modern master cylinders on old calipers, old dual brake m/cs should not be as taxing on old single calipers (I'd still keep an eye on that seal though)

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
just make sure you are not overextending your caliper piston - some mater cylinders can put too much pressure on a caliper and cause either the seal to fail or the piston to overextend. The former results in a gradual loss of pressure, the latter in stuck brakes. This is more of a probelm with modern master cylinders on old calipers, old dual brake m/cs should not be as taxing on old single calipers (I'd still keep an eye on that seal though)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
switched over the MC and what a difference! the old OEM MC sucked ass (for lack of better description) compared to the brembo i just stuck on. the adjustable lever makes for a great firm feel too. amazing how much better MCs have gotten in 30 yrs...LOL

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
switched over the MC and what a difference! the old OEM MC sucked ass (for lack of better description) compared to the brembo i just stuck on. the adjustable lever makes for a great firm feel too. amazing how much better MCs have gotten in 30 yrs...LOL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts