·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Problems with my friend's bike----

'66 Ducati Monza Jr.
Original 22mm Del Orto carb
Magneto ignition
, timing proberly set, carb cleaned thoughly. New points, plugs condesor all properly adjusted. Wired to have ignition only run off magneto. Lights are total loss off battery.

The bike will start and idle fine. You can rev it up ONCE, then it will die if you give it throttle.

I keep telling him it is carb trouble, he swears it is ignition.

The fact it will rev up once is weird. Could something be warming up, then not working properly???

He really wants to ride this bike in the Fall Giro, but is pulling his and some other peoples hair out trying to get it to run.

He just ordered a new coil to try to see if that fixes it.

Any suggestions appreciated.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
quote: I keep telling him it is carb trouble, he swears it is ignition.
carb problem. running out of gas. check the gas cap. check the float bowl. tell him to stop swearing!!

JS

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Champ,

The gas cap??? Plugged vent hole? Sometimes we never think of the really simple stuff. I will pass it on!

While I didn't think of that, I did wonder if the petcock was maybe plugged---it would over time let enough gas thru to start the bike, but after one good rev it would use the gas in the bowl then have to wait for it to trickle thru again.

Jack

·
Registered
569 Posts
if the float bowl is full or has enough to start you should be able to go down the road and around the corner before it dies and you look down and think , turn the gas on stupid..

·
Registered
66 Posts
have you checked the fuel flow from the valve? vents and filters? open up the bowl vents?

i can't believe you didn't ask me first.

then again, with all the abuse i give you i'm surprised i see you at all.

if at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer

·
Registered
838 Posts
Restricted exhaust? Mouse nest in the muffler? Rusted rotted packing core? Pull the muffler to see if it revs repeatedly with an open pipe.

Cheers, Bret @ Glass from the Past

1 - 6 of 6 Posts